1977 Jazz Bass or New MM Bongo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corrosiontrav, Feb 27, 2006.

1. corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    Well the time has come to spend my cash. It's down between a '77 J-Bass in orignal condition with sunburst body and maple neck with MOP block inlays or MM Bongo in Lava pearl.

I MAY get both, but then I may have to find a new place for me and my dog, and he's much better suited to be living outdoors at this time of year.
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    As an 'investment' the Jazz will hold its value better, and they're getting harder to find and people keep holding on the them as time goes on.

BUT...That era Jazz have a spotty QC record and the Bongo will most certainly play very well and have a tonal flexability that the Jazz won't.

I personally would take the Bongo, but then, I have 2 Jazz and a 70's P already.
  3. TimothyGroovy

TimothyGroovy Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 3, 2000
    Hong Kong
    Owner: Uni••Sound
    Jazz Bass first :D !! because you can get the Bongo anytime you want, but you might not find a 77' jazz bass in good condition that easy!
  4. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    If the jazz bass is a good one I would go for that for the same reason as the other posts. But check things like neck pocket fit and feel of the neck/weight before you go for the jazz. If it is well put together and plays good, go for it.
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Just my devalued .02...
    Man, you could hardly pick two more different basses. Having your choice be these two leads me to think...that you might need to think more.
    I mean, they're both potentially nice axes, but really about as different as they come.
    Easy answer: you must buy both.
  6. corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I'll probably get the Jazz for now.

I will get a Bongo regardless, it just might not be right now.

Maybe next month......
  7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Yep... Good advice... I would go this route...
  8. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

9. toad

Jun 26, 2002
    Well, first, here are my qualifiers--I don't know the specific 77 jazz in question and I don't know your specific needs.

Given that, if it were me and it was a question of a 77 jazz or a Bongo, both unseen, I would go for the Bongo. I've seen too many late 70s Fenders I would not want to own and the Bongo was a pleasure to play (in the store anyway).

FWIW, I'd go for a current American Series Jazz or a 75RI over an unseen 77; or Bongo, for that matter.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    '77 jazzes dont seem too special to me, if it was a 60s maybe.

11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Definitely the 77 J for me.
  12. corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    Here is my thought...and my reasoning for getting the J-Bass....

1. It's in great condition and the for what I'm paying for it it's a decent deal.

2. They make new Bongos everyday, and these J-bases don't come around as often.

3. I LOVE Jazzes

4. I'll get a Bongo at a later date, the older Jazzes aren't as plentiful as they once were.

Here is the Jazz in question.

13. Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Very cool. If it plays well, get the Fender.

I'd personally go for the Bongo, since I'm not the hugest fan of Fender.
  14. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Get what sounds best. Sure, the Jazz bass may be worth more, but are you a player or a collector?

Personally, I love the looks of any Ernie Ball...including the Bongo, so I'd rather go with that. Maybe a used one? :p