For Sale 1977 Musicman Stingray (Refinish / Rebuild / Inca Silver)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by DWest1981, Jan 5, 2017.

1. DWest1981

DWest1981 Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Price:
    Strings:
    SRFront.jpg SRHSFront.jpg SRNeckFront.jpg SRBodyFront.jpg SRBodyPL.jpg SRHSBack.jpg SRNeckBack.jpg SRBodyBack.jpg SRHSCigBurn.jpg SRNeckSkiJump.jpg SRPU.jpg
    So in early 2011 I wanted a classic, pre-Ernie Ball Stingray.

I bought this bass in pieces from a local guy who had gigged it for years and then modified it until it was hardly recognizable. I do have photos on another computer and I'll happily provide them to an interested buyer... once I find where the old desktop's buried in my moving boxes.

I met the fellow at a gas station and bought the parts he had left. After that, I sent them off to Krishna Jain of the Guitar Garage of Waltham Massachusetts with the agreement (like the Telecaster in this other thread) that he'd take as much time as he needed. I have a string of emails between us detailing the work done and again I'd be happy to provide them to any buyer. I received the finished instrument in May 2015, just in time to be downsized the first time and get lost in the shuffle of hunting for continuing employment.

The instrument started out in pieces, with large routs out of the body, no bridge, no neck plate and later we discovered that the original electronics were shot. Fortunately John Kallas agreed to take a look at them and discovered that though the preamp was indeed toast, the pickup was still in good working order. He reproduced the original preamp, cleaned and reinstalled the pots, connected up the original pickup and that's the finished product.

The neck was installed pretty much as-was, including the ubiquitous cigarette burn. The body was repaired and refinished in Inca Silver, taking several coats before the being reassembled. There's a pretty good patina on the original chrome bits and the restored electronics operate smoothly and quietly as expected.

Just to reiterate, the neck plate and bridge are replacement Musicman parts. I have requested that if the original owner ever locates the original bridge to let me know, but as is there is no serial number and I don't really expect to ever hear from the guy.

The resulting instrument is fantastic. The neck is smooth and fast, the tone exactly what you'd expect from a two-band active Stingray of its era.

The bass comes with a new hard case. It's a little dinged up after moving a few times, but perfectly functional.

The neck is straight and plays very nicely. I understand there will be more information a potential buyer would like, especially at this price point, and I'm happy to provide it to them. Please feel free to ask for more info!

Why am I finding a new home for it?
    I'm between jobs at the moment and the Big Plan seems to have fallen through. This Stingray and the Telecaster that just shipped to its new owner were supposed to be on the never-for-sale list, but as much as it hurts I've got to feed the family and sometimes pet projects must be given up.

Not looking for trades, sorry. Price may seem a little high, but it includes professional packing, shipping and insurance to the Continental US. As a prior service member, I am willing to discuss shipping to Alaska, Hawaii & FPO/APOs.

Thanks for taking the time to read through and comment!
    DW

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  2. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I was just reminded of something I'd meant to include!

This is not a lightweight instrument.

[edit] I've just gone back and re-weighed it because something didn't seem right. It's actually 10lbs, 3oz. Still not light. [/edit]

DW

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what?

Jul 15, 2008
    Farmington, New Mexico
    For a Stingray, 9.4lbs seems pretty light to me. Nice restoration! Good luck with the sale.

jakka1 likes this.
  4. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Right you are! It seemed pretty light to me too, especially when the Telecaster weighed in at 9lbs 4oz as well.

I've gone back and re-weighed it. Sorry for the confusion all, I guess I'd forgotten how to read a scale. It's 10lbs 3oz.

DW

waynobass likes this.
  5. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    I always liked that color cuz there's one like that on the cover of the '78 Fire it Up Rick James album

DWest1981 likes this.
  6. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Is there really? One of those things I probably ought to have known!

DW

7. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Anyone interested in $1600 shipped?

DW

8. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Advertised locally now, still available here though.

DW

9. DEbassist

DEbassist

Jul 7, 2006
    St. Louis
    I'll buy this if its still available.

10. DWest1981

May 5, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Thanks, I've replied to your PM.

DW

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022