1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TRADED 1977 Rickenbacker 4001 Walnut/Autumnglo

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by wyldryce, Apr 10, 2015.

1. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Price:
    Trades?
    Strings:
    20-DSC_8133. 23-DSC_8136. 21-DSC_8134.
    20-DSC_8133. 21-DSC_8134. 23-DSC_8136. 28-DSC_8141. 29-DSC_8142. 02-DSC_8143. 04-DSC_8145. 05-DSC_8146. 07-DSC_8148.
    It is with much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth that I have decided that it potentially may be time to move on from my '77 Rickenbacker 4001. I am finding that I haven't had a project in a few years that this particular bass has "made sense" for me, and despite the incredible tone and punchy piano mids (it seriously just KILLS) I've always had a hard time getting comfortable with the ergonomics of a Ric. This one is the rare Walnut/Autumnglo color combo and is in pretty nice shape for a player of this age. It is no museum piece, bearing the scars of a busy gigging life with a prior owner. There is a bit of buckle rash on the body contour, but otherwise no major through-finish-to-wood scars, other than some nicks along the headstock. There are copious assorted little dings and other "mojo" sprinkled throughout, but she's still quite the looker, and functionally, it slays. Neck action is set on the higher side as I have a bit of a heavy touch, but the hairpin truss rod is in good shape and the fretboard and it's finish are all intact (no Ric-Naive tech's in its past). The bridge pickup has been replaced by a prior owner with a rewound '75. It is HOT. The original dead '77 pickup is included. The original bridge chrome surround is included as well, as is the mirrored plexi surround I installed (much nicer to my thumb than the sharp metal surround. Strap buttons are not original, and location is off by a 1/4". Foam mute is gone, and one of the mute thumb screws was replaced with a phillips years ago.

I don't need to sell her. In fact I don't really WANT to sell her at all. But there are a few instruments that I would certainly use more, and so,

Trade Interests:
    -a light P-bass. I play a '76 P with a jazz neck. It rocks. It's also heavier than I'd like, so I'm looking for a LIGHT P. I recently played a friend's 2012 American P' (American Standard maybe?) and it's SO LIGHT. It doesn't need to be an expensive P though.
    -a Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn (44-64 custom). I love a P with a jazz neck.
    -a Lakland 44-64 standard. (maybe my favorite jazz neck would fit?)
    -A Lakland Skyline 5 string, either P or J. Not really a fan of the 55-02 series.
    -Other interesting 5'ers. Preferably a narrow neck. I need (I think) a fiver for a new project I'm doing. Like an idiot I sold my USA G&L L-2500 NAMM bass a few years back.
    -Some combination of a bass I want and a nice dose of cash to buy the other bass you lack.
    -A good light loaded P body.

Ideally some combination of both a light P and a cool 5'er would come my way from the same person that would satisfy my needs and no money would need to be involved. That could be a tall order to find a person who has both basses though, so let me know what you have.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
    blindrabbit and StrangerDanger like this.
  2. PM'd you

3. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    replied.

4. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    That is one gorgeous looking bass. Somebody's going to end up with a beautiful NBD out of this. GLWTS

5. PM Sent

6. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Pm's replied.

7. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Saturday afternoon bumper, for a boss bass! Working on getting a few sound samples up in the next few days.

8. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Sunday Tickle TTT.

9. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Tuesday Tonebump, which this Ric has in SPADES.

10. Reprise

Reprise Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Illinois
    Sent the pics we discussed...and i forgot to mention the weight of the P - looks to be 8.5 lbs per the bathroom scale method.

11. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    All Pm's replied...I've got some great offers. Thanks for making my decisions tough!

12. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Thursday morning Thump-bump!

13. cavscout19d

cavscout19d

Mar 17, 2010
  14. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Sweet P, I dig the color! I actually have a '76 Ash/maple board P as well...
    thanks for the offer though!

15. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Thanks, they were my Grandma's...she had lots of super cool mid century modern furniture. I've been lucky enough to inherit some of it.

16. cavscout19d

cavscout19d

Mar 17, 2010
    Grandma's chair......even cooler!

17. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Here's some samples I recorded today, utilizing unreleased, partially done recordings from one of my now-defunct bands. The Ric is mixed hot, and is BARE, as in no compression, no plug-ins of any kind. Straight from the Ric into a Tech21 Sansamp with the EQ flat and the drive knob set at 1/4, then straight into my interface.

Let me know if you have any questions or requests. The first one is done with the bridge pickup solo'd.

The second song is done with the switch in the middle position (both pickups) with the neck volume rolled off just a titch to get rid of the cancelling that happens with both volumes full on.

Enjoy! (hopefully?)

18. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    New upload recorded this morning with too-little-coffee, in one take. Be gentle with me. Neck pickup only. This isn't the bass I'd normally record a song like this with, but it has nice bloom and proves the Ric is no one trick pony.

Someone also asked me about a tone cap on the bridge pickup. In the pics above, I see two caps, both of which appear to be original, but I am no electrical genius by any means. The original owner had told me there was a wire hand twisted in there, maybe to bypass it? I don't really recall...and I don't see it installed anymore, so I may have long ago removed it. In any case, it looks stock to me, but again, the bridge pickup is a '75 re-wound, and it is definitely HOT (but DAMN, it sounds so good!)

19. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    Pending...

20. wyldryce

wyldryce

Feb 15, 2010
    Annapolis
    And TRADED! Thanks all for playing...