SOLD 1977 Vintage Fender Jazz Bass - Black- Shipped

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Marvin D Toll, May 24, 2021.

1. Marvin D Toll

Marvin D Toll

Feb 24, 2021
    Milford, MI
    Price:
    $2500
    Strings:
    United States
    I bought this bass in 1983 and used it approximately one year to accompany a Children's Choir; it has not been played significantly since. At the time of purchase, I intentionally sought out a used Fender Jazz Bass; when in High School (mid-70s) I appreciated the tone quality heard from those using the model in the context of instrumental groups in which I performed (trumpet and keys).

The cosmetic context is very clean, with two small scratches on the front of the body captured in a photo next to a nickel and a paper clip. The instrument was recently taken to a reputable Guitar Center technician to ensure it remains playable and in good shape for selling. It was equipped with new strings, three new knobs, and an adjusted neck. I attempted to capture the consistent string height (and lack of fret wear) with two photos.

To my knowledge, with the exception of the knobs, there are all original parts. The Guitar Insite application provided the following assertion:

Serial number: S738700
    Production year: 1977 or early 1978
    Made in Fullerton, USA

If you are in the Detroit area and we can avoid shipping etc. the price can be reduced accordingly.

OriginalCase.jpg CompleteInCase.jpg CompleteBack.jpg Body.jpg TwoSmallNicks.jpg Headstock.jpg SerialNumber.jpg Pegs.jpg Plate.jpg Bridage.jpg StringHeight1.jpg StringHeight2.jpg BodyBack.jpg Receipt.jpg

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  2. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Wow! A very clean example of a closet queen!!

ErikP.Bass and obieito like this.
  3. InstantEctobass

InstantEctobass

Feb 18, 2018
    France
    AND .... SOLD?! (not buying but I guess it won't last long listed here!!) Good Luck With Your Sale.

4. Marvin D Toll

Marvin D Toll

Feb 24, 2021
    Milford, MI
    The back story on this is fun to tell... although I'm not sure any else cares. After graduating from college, I was a High School band director in SE Kentucky, a town of 5,000 people; the largest "city" for 90 minutes in any direction ... a friend started a Children's Choir... all they had was a piano player. So I got a few instrumentalists together but could not talk anyone into playing bass (except myself!). The kids ended up on tour out east including a performance at the National Cathedral in Washington, DC; some had never been out of the county. :)

akukulich, MCF, eqvolvorama and 8 others like this.
  5. Latinbass

Latinbass Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Northern New Jersey
    Any idea what the weight is?

6. Marvin D Toll

Marvin D Toll

Feb 24, 2021
    Milford, MI
    Both myself and my wife stood on our digital scale with and without the bass... it was exactly ten pounds.

7. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Wow, that's beautiful, and much better shape than mine. GLWTS

8. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Did either one of you joke, "Does this bass make me look fat?" while on the scale. ... Very nice bass and good luck on the sale.

akukulich likes this.
  9. Marvin D Toll

Marvin D Toll

Feb 24, 2021
    Milford, MI
    I did not let her see me on the scale; no use starting a "weighty" discussion!

10. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Wow!

Beautiful. Your price is very fair. I've already got a CBS Jbass or I'd be scrounging around for loose change.

GLWS.

11. cnbasspat

cnbasspat

Apr 25, 2012
    South Florida
    Ugh this is gonna sell faster than I want it to lol...GLWTS wish I had the cash on hand to scoop it right away

12. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    Desirable color / fingerboard combo and weight. These have gone up recently so someone should grab this.

13. Marvin D Toll

Marvin D Toll

Feb 24, 2021
    Milford, MI
    ... also, a couple of people have asked if I have a PayPal account... the answer is "yes".

14. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    I do not need another bass, I do not need another bass, I do not need another bass...

cnbasspat likes this.
  15. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    So the price on this bass has gone from 2500 shipped a few hours ago to 2600 shipped an hour ago to 2700 shipped now. Which is it? I know at least two of us offered the original for sale price.

petebass90 likes this.
  16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    This isn’t an auction site. If someone meets your asking price, you sell.

petebass90 and csala like this.
  17. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    You should pull your ad if you're not willing to sell at the original asking price. Not cool.

petebass90 likes this.
  18. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    I feel bad about my previous market related comment but agree this is not a good practice to raise the price on a trading community site like TB. Your got ebay or reverb for that.

petebass90 and cnbasspat like this.
  19. Marvin D Toll

Marvin D Toll

Feb 24, 2021
    Milford, MI
    ... by the way, my wife agrees with you guys... she said I should have just left the price alone and kept the conversations private... not the first time I've been needlessly transparent!

petebass90 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021