Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1978 Fender Jazz Bass - Two Tone Sunburst

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tusitala, Feb 12, 2006.

1. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    do any of you ever have had the chance to see a 1978 Fender Jazz Bass - Two Tone Sunburst - Rare 4 Bolt with dots and bindings, swamp ash body and maple fingerboard, white pickguard and white pots

Serial S862547

i found one and i'm curious to know if it is original of that year

thanks

Attached Files:

2. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I think that finish is actually siena sunburst, and I believe by white pots you refer to the knobs. The four bolt neck seems unusual for the year, and I haven;t seen too many basses from the late seventies with dots and binding. The bass looks clean though, how does it sound?

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Mmmmmm. Sienna Burst.

It might not be a 78...they used serial numbers starting S8 and S9 through the early 80's...as the white knobs show, Fender also used to mix and match some parts too...great early 80's quality control.

Not really that 'rare'.

4. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    i still did not have the chance to play it, but i hope i will...i'm looking for a seventies fretted jb...

5. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    The serial # is right and the finish was made from '78-'79, I believe. I think I might've owned this bass before. I traded it in for a Pedulla MVP about 15 years ago to a music store in Kentucky. Where are you located?

6. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004

in italy!

if you owned it, how was this bass?
    would you suggest me to buy it?
    i still did not try it...

7. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    That's not mine, I just remembered that mine had a rosewood board. I would never suggest that you buy anything without trying it first, what's the hang up with you trying it? Is it far away? Mine had a very good tone, it cut well in the mix.

8. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004

it's a bit far from where i live, i'm contacting the seller right now...how much do you think this bass can cost???

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    How come there are no block inlays? When did Fender stop making Js with block inlays anyway?

10. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    First off, that bass is NOT a '78. The 4-bolt neck made it's way back into JB's around late 1980. The binding with dots made it's apprearance from late 80-83, and the white pickguard with no thumbrest holes was used from 81-83, same with the white strat knobs.
    That finish is called Sienna Burst. S8 serials were used from 78-82, but real 78's and 79's would still be 3-bolt necks with block inlays, not 4-bolt with dot inlays.

My estimate is it's a 1981.

11. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
  12. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    Actually, you're right, it should be a 3 bolt but you're incorrect about the binding/dot. I had a one that was sienna burst, 3 bolt neck with white binding and dots on a rosewood board.

13. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    what can be its value??? how much could this bass cost?

14. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    $1800- $2200 in the US

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma

No I'm not incorrect. Fender absolutely did not make binding with dots in 78 or 79...it simply didn't exist. The blocks started disappearing in 1980 and also in mid-1980 the dots firstappeared. Also in 1980 is the transition year from 3-bolt necks back to 4-bolt.
    So by your description, your bass was a 1980, there was no such thing as a dot neck 78 or 79.

We all know the serial # means very little...you have to take the neck, pot#, pickup# and observe the small details.

16. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    My bad, as I recall mine was serial #ed S9 so it probably was a early 80's. I would suggesting him to have the dealer take the neck off and see if it was a 3 bolt that was converted to a 4 bolt, take pics of the pots, pickups and neck joint then he would know right away that the bass isn't original and would know that it's not worth as much. If the seller is asking big $$ for the bass, he should expect to have interested buyer be thorough in their research.

17. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Twin brother of my long gone '82! Best Fender colour ever!

18. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    I agree, it's gorgeous!

19. tusitala

tusitala

Nov 15, 2004
    hi everybody, i just wanted to say that i finally had the chance to try the bass, loved it and bought it...it's a great bass! i checked out all the instrument's parts and the only thing i worry is that the neck does not have a production date on...

anyway i checked the knobs and they report the code R1378243
    which means that it was produced on the 43rd week of 1982...

i just wanted to thank you all for the great informations and advices you gave me...thanks!
    -tusitala

20. Sienna Sunburst

Attached Files: