Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1978 Fender Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Flees, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Hey everybody,

I was deciding whether or not to purchase a 1978 Fender Fretless Jazz Bass from a local music store, and was looking for some advice. Basically, here's the deal. Everything is original (pickups, neck, nut, tuners, bridge, electronics) except the neck plate on back. Originally, when it was first built, it had a 3-bolt neck plate, which a previous owner switched to a 4-bolt for whatever reason. However, the guitar tech at the music store where it is being sold decided to order a new 3-bolt plate from Fender, and put that on. The result is that two of the holes no longer needed have been patched. I have pictures of it at the link below. The serial # is S 863858. I was wondering mainly if the neck plate being switched from a 3-bolt to a 4-bolt back to a 3-bolt is ok. I have tried the bass out on several occaisons, and it seems solid to me.
    My question is this....is this bass worth $995.00? Please let me know your thoughts!

http://www.freewebs.com/fleesman/contactflees.htm

2. Once it was converted to a 4 bolt, it should've stayed a 4 bolt....once modded, it can never be completely original again, so why even bother with a 3 bolt plate? I mean there's two patched holes now...jeez... :confused:

Regardless, if the rest of the bass is original in great shape, I'd say the price is a good deal these days.

I just had a thought, are you SURE the body is original? Look under the pickguard, there may be a serial number on the underside (there was on my 78 Pbass). Dunno if there's one in the body's neck pocket, I can't recall if there was one in my neck pocket, it's been a few years since I've had the neck off. I'm just wondering if they stuck a 78 neck on a different body.

3. Thanks for the pics. I was sitting here wondering why they would be filling 2 holes when changing over from 4 to 3 hole plate, but now I see.

I guess the shop wanted to go for "authenticity" in look and materials. Looking at it, I would think that if that's the way it comes "stock", then it would be just as solid as it should be. The only thing you wouldn't like about it would be the look of the hole patches. Can you live with that? Then go for it.

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Your post of ooosing on angst. Get yourself together and hold off until you feel it's right. When you feel it, you'll know it.

5. If you are looking for an investment bass with the hopes of it gaining value, then I wouldnt get this bass. If it sounds great and you plan on using it mainly to play (not too worried about value), I'd get it.

On a side note, I've seen other 1978's in decent condition all original go for similar prices (maybe a couple hundred more)..

6. I would want to check if the neck is original. Seems to me that the neck and the body are from different basses. That would explain the change of the neckplate also. This neck probably only has 3 holes.
    If the neck and the body don't belong together, you might have a great bass in your hands, but not a great investment. Don't think you would lose over it either if you decided to sell it again sometime, but it is something to consider.

R.

7. Thanks for all the great advice everybody! I think I'm going to hold off on this bass, and wait for a better one to come around in the future!

Andy