Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1978 Fender P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gozan, Feb 2, 2001.

1. gozan

gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    Local store selling Fender P-Bass 1978 . NO cover , rating is a 7 on 10 ( as per store ). Maple neck ( original ) but body was stripped down to wood . Wants $500.00 Any suggestions ? Thanks Mark.

2. If I were you I would probably go for it - from what I've heard 78's are the magic year for 70's P-basses, and I usually see them going for $750-$1000.

Yours is probably cheap because of the stripping, but if you are getting it to play, what does that matter?

I've heard that the thing about 78's is that the bodies are a lot lighter than other years.

I'd love to find a 78 with a maple neck (or rosewood, I like the warmer sound a lot) and a black or dark brown body. If I could find that for around $500 I would jump on it in a second.

Get on it!

Chuck

3. I almost forgot to tell you to inspect it thoroughly, though before you do buy it. At $500 there might be fret problems or warping problems with that original neck.

Electronic aren't that big of a problem since you can always fix them with a little work, but necks are taboo with me - I have no idea about fret jobs, and replacement necks are in the $200 (just a guess) range. A price I wouldn't pay for a stripped p bass.

But get it, they're awesome!

Chuck

4. gozan

gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    WELL I WENT THIS A.M. TO LOOK AT THE FENDER P BASS 1978. THE BODY WAS STRIPPED DOWN AND A CLEAR FINISH WAS PUT . HOWEVER THE JOB LOOKS LIKE IT WAS DONE WITH A PAINT BRUSH . OUCH !!! PRETTY BAD . THE NECK IS GREAT WITH ALL ORIGINAL PARTS . MISSING THE COVERS . MAPLE NECK FRET BOARD SHOWS SOME WEAR ON THE EDGES AT A FEW AREAS. COMES WITH GIG BAG. NO TAX . $500.00 CASH. . SHOULD I BUT IT ?

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Go for it. If you saw & played it, there should be no more questions. I personally Like the 70's logos much better than any Fender era. If it play's good & you really want it, buy it. If you're not sure, see if the store has a return policy, buy it, play it @ home through your rig & then make a final decision!!!

6. gozan

gozan

Sep 17, 2000
    I NOTICED THAT THE 1978 P BASS DOES NOT HAVE THE " F" LOGO
    ON THE SQUARE METAL PLATE ON THE BACK OF THE NECK.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - the 70s were when the CBS "cost-cutting" measures realy started to kick in and if you read any histries of Fender then this is their worst period for "quality" control" -0K you might find decent basses, but I would always be wary.

I'm no expert though and if you want an expert opinion, I would strongly suggest trying your questions at the Fender forum, :

http://www.fenderforum.com

Just go along to the basses part of the forum.

8. Yeah, I've heard that, too.

That might be why there is a weight difference between the years.

I've played some that were bricks, and others that were really nice.I've heard that finish quality was down during that time, which might explain the shoddy refinish of the 78 in question.

When was the three bolt neck discontinued? That was another cost cutting feature that is sometimes nice, but mostly not. I think by 78 they were back to the 4 bolts.

Chuck
    (I'm not a Fender expert, but that's how I was raised)

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've got a '78 fretless Pbass that I got a couple of years ago for $300 with case. The only thing not original was the pickguard, and the pickup cover. My guitar player describes it as the "Magic PBass." if I were you, I'd try and talk them down to $450, and then have the bass refinished by a professional. Figure $300 for a good finish, and you've only got $750 in a great bass. But, I'd only do that if it plays like a dream.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    There were never any 3 bolt Precision basses. The microtilt was considered a "deluxe" feature for the Jazz.

11. I thought that was weird that I had never seen one...

I HAVE seen J's with it though - in fact I played a really cool one from 78 or 79 that was a maroon with maple neck and black pickguard.

At the time the owner offered to sell it AND a Gallien Krueger 400RB and a 1x15 cabinet (I can't remember what it was) to me for $500.

I didn't play bass then. I had no idea. Now I kick myself. He has since taken up playing again and refuses to sell.

12. Oh yeah, and when are our profiles going to be back up to "Full Profile Strength"?

I want to see who I'm talking with so I don't embarrass myself more!

hehe
    Chuck