1978 Fender Precision Antigua (Ok Deal ?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peekypoo, Feb 26, 2010.

1. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I don't think I've ever seen an antigua bass with a rosewood board?

2. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I never seen one either

3. RONQUITO

RONQUITO

Dec 27, 2007
    I learned to love Antigua´s AKA "Pukeburst"...nice score BTW.

+3 on the maple fretboards being the only ones seen on Antiguas.

4. I've never seen a rosewood one and there will be no neck date. CBS Fender stopped that in the early 70's. ..... My concern would be the weight. I never touched one that didn't weigh over 10-pounds. Plus the heavy poly finish. .... I always thought they were nice to look at but so-so to play. I don't think it'll ever be worth more because they were never that popular. IMO
    It is odd that Fender CBS made this stuff when the company was going under when all buyers were looking for was old simple solid 60's P & J-basses. ... In 78 they were still a few years from waking up.

5. Why do you say that? During the 70's (and especially 78) there should be a 8-digit code stamped on the neck heel that will tell you when it was made.

Some necks may not have date stamps but if so it was a mistake.

6. As everyone else said, I've never seen Rosewood on an Antigua either..

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've seen (and owned) Antiguas with rosewood boards, as well as maple.

Price on that one ($1700) is reasonable (and for the condition, quite good).

Everything looks correct, and the seller has a great reputation, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. IMHO, that Rosewood looks terrible on the Antigua. :help:
    There is definitely a reason why all of the Antiguas that I have seen before that one had Maple.

9. 69limeRev

69limeRev

May 1, 2007
    Western Pa.
    That's the first rosewood board one I've ever seen. I actually like that much better than the maple (and I generally prefer maple boards)!

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I'm in the small minority that likes Antigua. And I have no real explanation why....

11. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    ok price. once again, not the most common colour, but then again not exactly the most sought after colour either.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes, I have also seen/played plenty of Antiguas with both rosewood and maple boards.

13. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    im with you...its one of the only four strings i like...and i love the color, so sweet....doent look like puke at all

14. kimokeo

kimokeo

Jul 7, 2009
    Any deal is OK as long as you are happy with the purchase. Does not matter if you give 10 grand for it. If it is what you are looking for, buy it. Seen several antigua sticks with RW and M. Personally, I don't think any of them look good with that color, regardless of the board.

15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I have three late 70s fenders, two of which are around 9lbs or less. One is a hearty 10.5 lbs.

I'm with you, can't explain it. It's gross looking and dated, but it just looks so good.

16. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    X2.
    This thread is giving me GAS!

17. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Friend of mine years ago had an Antigua P of about that vintage, with a rosewood FRETLESS (unlined) board. Offered to sell it to me and I turned him down. #1 was the color, #2 it was a fretless. Now years later I would have jumped on that offer for those exact same reasons. Go figure.

18. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Seriously? Back in the day the music stores were littered with Antigua Fenders, both maple and rosewood varieties. They even made lefties that way.

78Precision6a.jpg

19. Rocky

Rocky Inactive

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Personally I love it!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021