1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1978 Fender Precision - black/maple, Dimarzio, purchased from original owner

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by got_the_bug, Oct 26, 2018.

1. got_the_bug

got_the_bug Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2007
    NH
    Price:
    Strings:
    Up for sale is this beefy number. You may be able to justify it as personal protection, as I'm pretty sure you could swing it by the neck and take out any home intruder at the kneecaps, then continue to finish (in tune, no less) the song you are practicing.

I purchased this from the original owner, who stated that he purchased the bass new in 1978 -- I know there is sometimes a question on the age of these late 70's/early 80's serialized Fenders. Here are some other details:
    -B neck, 1 5/8"
    -white Dimarzio pickup, which has aged to crème; while not original, it was swapped in '79, so at least period correct
    -11.6 lbs.

The pickguard is not original, although it was replaced long ago. I have the original, which is broken down by the tone knob. The case is not original; rather, it's an early 80's (?) plastic molded Fender USA case. No cracks, latches are functional. The bass itself has been well-loved and played often -- no faux relic job here. If you are looking for a closet queen, this ain't it. With that said, it functions perfectly, and sounds like P bass should. I recently had a luthier do a complete check -- new strings, setup, etc. The neck is straight, the truss rod works, and electronics are not scratchy. There are Schaller buttons installed in the pics, but I will install the originals prior to shipping.

Asking $1300 PayPal shipped CONUS...thanks for checking it out.

I'm gravitating more towards J basses lately, and have the P thing covered with other basses. No trades please...I have my eye on a specific bass in the Classifieds.
    78_p_body_front.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  2. That white pickup looks great on black. Wish I had the money. GLWYS mate!

3. got_the_bug

Sep 5, 2007
    NH
    Yeah, I think so, too...thanks, man!

4. got_the_bug

Sep 5, 2007
    NH
    Sunday price drop to $1200 shipped CONUS...

5. CatDaddyOTB

CatDaddyOTB

Mar 20, 2018
    Boston, MA
    sending you a PM sir

6. got_the_bug

Sep 5, 2007
    NH
    Replied to your PM...

7. got_the_bug

Sep 5, 2007
    NH
    Sold...thanks, Jon! Good to meet a fellow forum member in person...

8. timwoodie

timwoodie

Apr 7, 2014
    Rhode Island
    Shoot just missed this.....