1978 Fender precision.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lefty4string, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Lefty4string

Lefty4string Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    Just purchased what might be one of the most pristine ( and incredibly musty smelling) 70s fender P. basses that i have ever seen. came w original case. when i received it i was amazed at what good condition it was in. only one blemish on side of body. almost like new. i suppose perhaps a true closet classic. it came with a Badass 2 and Seymour Duncan pickups but it included all original parts and pickup. all body parts date correctly and seems to be no sign of refinishing. frets are original w little wear.

Attached Files:

2. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    But everything's backwards. That's why it didn't get played much. LOL. Good find.

3. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Good find and a lefty too...kinda rare to see.

J-Bassomatic likes this.
  4. Lefty4string

Lefty4string Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    Yea. Bass options are not great for southpaws. . i do sometime regret not playing right handed but sometimes i luck out.

5. Put that strap button back where it is supposed to be, reinstall the original parts, and you really have something there.

Of course, it is also cool just that way it is.

6. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very cool, congrats!

7. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    Massachusetts
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the factory location for the upper strap pin.

8. Lefty4string

Lefty4string Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    I own a second 1978 with the upper strap button in the exact same position. i could be wrong but i think that was factory specs for the era.

Michael Schreiber likes this.

9. Humm, I believe you are correct.

Here is a pic of a 77' I owned and that buton does look as if it is mounted further around the horn.

I stand corrected.

And yes, I was a big SLOB as a kid... ;)

image_9.jpg

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  10. Lefty4string

Lefty4string Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    no doubt That is a beautiful bass.

Salicete likes this.
  11. Congratulations! And how does it sound?

12. Lefty4string

Lefty4string Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    Surprisingly very full with a clear and defined top and bottom end. I definitely think the quarter pound seymour duncan pickups have everything to do with that. i wouldn't go back to the stock pickups again. it is also very heavy. but i like that.

Michael Schreiber and Zoobiedood like this.
  13. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :laugh::laugh::laugh:

fixed :D

s-l1600.jpg

Hello Lefty4string :)

Great looking bass :thumbsup:

...and she sounds like she looks :bassist:

happy NBD :hyper::hyper::hyper:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

tbplayer59 and Michael Schreiber like this.
  14. Lefty4string

Lefty4string Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    Lol. yes it is backwards. but then again so am i so it all works out i guess.

Michael Schreiber and Wisebass like this.
  15. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    Beautiful. Don't listen to the Philistines who tell you it's 'backwards'. It's just like mine:

DSCN8087A.jpg

DSCN8066A.jpg

16. Lefty4string

Lefty4string Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    Yes a fleet of beauties. are most of these late 70s? those Strats are awesome.

Wisebass and mcarp555 like this.
  17. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    They're all S7 or S8 (and I know, Fender used the S7/S8 serials even up into the 80's). I'd like to get a matching Tele to complete the set, but cash is in short supply these days...

Wisebass likes this.
  18. Lefty4string

Lefty4string Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    I have a thing for late 70s fenders. have owned 3 . all very heavy solid and always sound and play great. i just can not feel the new P. basses. bought an American standard a few months ago and sold it a month later. yes you have your work cut out on a lefty Tele . but then again lefty anything is never easy to come by. I am sure you can relate.

19. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :D political posts ("left against right") are against thread rules :laugh:

I love naturals, here is my F5 :hyper:

05042017113.jpg

greetings

Wise(b)ass

20. So Lefty4string, slightly off-topic but, how do new Ps differ from old ones?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021