1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1978 Fender precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnFrusciante, Dec 31, 2011.

1. JohnFrusciante

JohnFrusciante

Feb 16, 2011
    In a local guitar shop they have a 1978 precision in a nice natural ash finish. The thing is beautiful to play and I'm totally in love but i'd like to know how I can find out what parts are original. The thing is up for £1000. Cheers guys.

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Check the neck and pots for dates. The pick-guard should have a matching sticker that is in the neck heal but not always there. If a headstock serial number says' its an 78' then most of it will be but allot of those basses had parts before and after the years on the neck. Any pics?

3. JohnFrusciante

JohnFrusciante

Feb 16, 2011
    Its the one on this website. Village Guitars Wingham

Can I really ask them to take the neck off and show me the dates

4. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Dec 29, 2010
    NY
  5. Also, the "S8" serial numbers covered a lot of years, not just 1978. As I heard it, they had a bunch of decals laying around from 1978 and decided to use them for the next few years.

Ask to see a date stamp. Mine had a little sticker under the pickup with the date too.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Need better pics.

7. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Yes, you can ask them to pop the neck. Show up with your own screwdriver, I do, lets em know your serious.

8. thedovewarlord

thedovewarlord

Dec 29, 2010
    NY
    Hi, tkozal is right and how else will you be able to tell if the pickups and neck are original? I get all freaked out by those pics on ebay when someone takes a 59 apart, but it's the only proof.

S7 + 5 digits
    S8 + 5 digits
    S9 + 5 digits

The bass looks sweet, good luck

9. That's just like the '78 I had, great bass. I had to sell it to pay bills. :bawl:

10. JohnFrusciante

JohnFrusciante

Feb 16, 2011
    Cheers guys, I'm going to see it again tommorow. I shall keep you posted

11. JohnFrusciante

JohnFrusciante

Feb 16, 2011
    Bought it. :)

12. Nuh uh... not until you post a pic ;)

13. Oops. Double post.