1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1978 Ibanez Silver Series P-Bass Fretless spareparts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by el murdoque, Mar 15, 2013.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Hi,
    i own a 1978 Ibanez Silver Series P-Bass Fretless.
    I bought this a while ago and recently, i play it quite often.
    I love the sound. The fretless singing mixed with the punchy P-style lower mids is just great. I'm not sure if it was modified,
    the bass is black with maple neck and fingerboard, but all the pics i've googled show pickups in black or bright white, mine's cream coloured. I got the Bass with all the chromy hardware removed, only the screws remain.
    The Pickguard is also missing, only the cover of the electronics remains, but that looks tinkered as well. The Bass has the usual
    Vol and tone potis, but there's a 2 way swtich as well, for splitting the pickup.
    I Want this baby to get back in shape and remount the pickguard, the thumbrest and at least the ashtray that covers the bridge, maybe the one that covers the pickup as well.
    But it's quite impossible to get the original Ibanez parts.

Does anyone know if Fender parts from seventies P Basses will fit? I'd like to have parts that fit exactly so i can reuse the scews, since i don't want to damage it any further.

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    These are very nice basses. I doubt a Fender pg will fit,but I am not 100%. Same for the covers. Cream covers on the pickup sounds like Dimarzio pickups.

3. The neck pockets of the Ibanez silver series basses have not the same size as the original Fender. So it won't fit.
    How do I know?
    I have the parts of the 77/78 Ibanez silver series jazz bass. ;-)
    Only the neck was missing.
    And I had to make the neck pocket bigger for the fender neck.
    I think you could better buy the pickguard material and cut it in the correct shape.

Greetz

4. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    yeah, i love that thing.
    I was suspecting Dimarzio as well - but it doesn't really matter since i won't change anything in the setup. It's just fine the way it is. Would look a lot more classy with all the bling though.
    Since I'm not the right guy to cut out a pickguard myself, i'll consider handing it over to a skilled lutiher if the fenderparts won't fit.