Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1978 Jazz bass- relic

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by Tim Cole, Apr 8, 2004.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Before I go into detail with every little nook and cranny wrong with it, let me state this is a great player! Set up with low action, and TI flatwounds that are a month or so old. Plays, and sounds great. I am open to offers on this, but really don't need to sell. I believe the body to be alder, it is a lightweight for the era, my bathroom scales indicate this to be at 9.5 pounds, which feels accurate. Sounds great, and has never let me down.

For a bass that has been played continuously for 25 years, you can expect it to have some wear, and issues.

What is known non-original: Pickguard is a tort replacement from all parts, perfect fit. One of the bridge saddles is not original, as well as the strap buttons. Pots, I think are original, however the split shafts have one side broken off on two of the pots. The knobs do stay on with tape though. Body is believed to be refinned, but it is very old if it is. Tons of kicks, finish checking, and wear. Fender's custom shop couldn't of done a better job. The bridge pup has been replaced with a duncan basslines pup, but the original dated 78 comes with it as well. Frets show some wear, and could use a dressing.....works fine as is, and will for many years to come with the flats that are on it. The neck has a hairline crack from the truss channel into the first fret inlay. It doesn't appear to be any kind of an issue, the truss works fine both ways. Maybe this is common with age? My 78 had the same deal. Someone also put a hole for a second string retainer in the headstock, a common mod on these older J's.

Comes with an SKB hardshell case. Please PM offers, might be interested in a trade of the musicman variety.

[​IMG]

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Done deal!

Thanks Robert