1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1978 Jazz bass's model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chalie, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Hi,
    I wish to to get a brochure of 1978 Fender Jazz Bass just to view the different models and colors they made back those day.
    Please advice. Thanks

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Hi Chalie,

Back in 78 there was only one model of Jazz bass...the usual, standard 4 string Jazz.

Fender colors for 78 were: Sunburst, Blonde, Black, Olympic White, Natural, Walnut, Antigua, Wine and TobaccoBurst.

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...played a '77 today & it was NICE...a bit too much $$$ though...definetly not like what's produced today...in a "IMO" way...

~S~

4. Thanks,
    I had the Olympic White that I bought 5 years ago. The bass still in mint condition and sound good aswell. I thought that I can get one of 1978 brochure from eBay but could never get one.
    Do you know where to get one of that. :hyper:

5. Check online... I believe the Fender site has some somewhere, to be viewed online. Maybe MrGearhead.com?

EDIT: http://www.fender.com/support/manuals/instr_owners.php Here you go.... there are tons of models to choose from.

EDIT EDIT: They don't really give you that much information haha.

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I had a '78 Antigua "P" years ago,w/matiching Antigua pick guard. Too bad they don't offer that color anymore. If you've never seen that color, here's a pic.

[​IMG]

7. I love Antigua finishes!

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Here's a pic of an Antigua "J" Must be about a '78 vintage. I don't think Antigua was in the catalog for too many years.

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Antigua was a much ridiculed and not so popular finish. Rumour has it that it started as a mistake...The second picture posted is much closer to how an antigua finish now looks...kinda pukey and yellowed over the grey/white. I like them when clean, but they didn't age very well.

11. this is my Olympic White which is more like butter.

12. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Me and my '78 Jazz back in 1983. It has the brown sunburst.
    JazzBass.

Cheers,
    Jim