1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 1978 Musicman Stingray FS

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The BurgerMeister, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    *** SOLD!!! ***

from musicmanbass.org: "B008212..Appears to have a 1978 black epoxy pre-amp (3 yellow leadout wires). Sunburst with Maple. Black pg. Serial on neck plate. Encircled "R" on headstock logo."

this is a well-played 1978 Musicman Stingray. pre-Ernie Ball. got this from another TBer about a year ago. it's an amazing player... feels so good in the hands. it sounds amazing. the tone sits perfectly in a mix and is fantastically punchy. i just don't play it enough, and i'm needing money these days.

now, storytime!
    a few weeks after i bought this bass, i took it to my tech (S.I.S. here in SoCal) to have a setup done. as he was adjusting the truss rod, the welding holding the adjustment socket to the truss rod itself snapped. (from what i understand, these old Stingrays can have some neck issues, but my heart sank when i saw that happen.) the truss rod was replaced. luckily, my tech has some good connections at Ernie Ball (he used to work there), and he managed to get a "N.O.S." truss rod from them (apparently, they still have some of the old parts hanging around). the boys at Ernie Ball put the rod together and sent it to us.

now, the bass is well-worn, especially on the back of the neck and body. i told my tech that i loved the way the neck felt, so i would have to get it back in the same condition it was in before the rod replacement. so he took many pictures of the back of the neck, took out the skunk stripe and broken rod, put in the new rod and skunk stripe, then (together with an associate of his who does amazing finish work) took a good month-and-a-half to relic it back to its "original" state.

long story short: the bass is better than it was. it's been restored to complete playability and functionality.

also: one of the pots is not original, and i've put on new knobs. i like these knobs better, as they're not as knurled as the originals. i do believe i have the originals, and if i do i will include them with the bass. i also have the original truss rod... if you want that, let me know.

comes with a Musicman hardshell case (not original).

the finish on the neck looks very yellow in these pictures... it's more golden-amber to the naked eye. i took these pictures in direct sunlight to show as much detail as i could.

PDRM0015-1.

*** SOLD!!! ***

2. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    PM'd ya

3. fergbassplayer

fergbassplayer Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    San Anselmo CA~
    Nice! Wish I had some $$$$$

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Now that's "Road Worn" for ya!

My 78 P-Bass neck and board (maple/maple) is starting to go "amber" too and I think it's cool as heck.

5. alkal78

alkal78

Feb 21, 2009
    Greece
    Finally someone who knows how to shoot good fotos of a used instrument! Very helpful.

Nice base with p l e n t y of mojo...

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm going to guess from the scratch marks on the pickups that this bass was mostly played with a pick... ? Or someone with very long fingernails...

I'm not sure I would ever personally buy an instrument with quite this much mojo but I find them fascinating... just knowing that every mark on that thing comes with a story.

And +1 to the above, the pictures are very good.

BTW, are the oversized position dots at the 12th fret a standard feature of that vintage? Never seen that before...

7. ItsNotMeTalking

ItsNotMeTalking

Feb 16, 2005
    Hi, can you ship it to Argentina via USPS Priority maiL?
    the neck would need to be removed because of size limits (42" max lenght)
    and ship it in one or two boxes, cases cant be shipped.its about 80 to $120
    would you be ok with that?
    thanks, Ivan

8. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    hey, thanks! i've gotten many questions about the fret markers... i'm no Musicman historian, but i can say that i've seen that same feature on a few other Musicman instruments from that era (most notably on a late 70s Stingray guitar).

and... SOLD, pending payment!

edit: sorry, can't ship overseas.

9. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    *** SOLD!!! ***

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.