1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1978 Musicmaster?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Unchain, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    There's one on my local CL for $350 bucks. I don't know a whole lot about vintage Fender basses beyond Precision and Jazz basses. So, thus my query to all of you. Is this a steal? Or is this not really worth my time of day? They say it's in "excellent" condition.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    You can't get much for $350, but this isn't much of a bass, either...

pass

3. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'm wondering more about if it was collectible/worth more than this. I already have a couple of nice basses, and I know you can't get much for $350 bucks, but I saw the year and had to wonder.

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Good deal. These normally go for upwards of $500. Great bass in terms of build quality and playability. Just switch out the pickup and your in business. Still some people like them just as they are.
    Another good option: buy it, throw it on TB, charge $425, make yourself $75, and still pass on a good deal to a fellow TBer.

5. troy mcclure

troy mcclure Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Central Florida
    I got a 72 for under $200 last year...needs some work...my son uses it at his church.

6. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    That's what I'll most likely do. Play it for a couple weeks and unless I fall for it and need to keep it, I'll pass it on and make a couple bucks.

7. Where I live $350 is a steal. Around here MusicMasters go for ~$600 and Mustangs for ~$850. Even the short scale early '80s era Japanese Squiers go for more than that.

8. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Awesome, thank you all. I'm going to go check it out this afternoon.

On another note, I see the pickup is a guitar pickup? So if I replace it would I need to use a different guitar pickup, or would the old style P-Bass pickup work for it? (The one that's just one straight pickup.)

9. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Yeah, I'd pick it up if local to me, good deal.

10. That's one of the reasons I like the MusicMaster (and Bronco) so much... you can install a Strat pickup. I put a hotrails type Strat humbucker in my Bronco and it really sounded great.

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I dont know a ton about Musicmasters, but some look real chintzy (crappy tuners, etc) and some look really well made...

For $350, it's worth the gamble. If you don't like it, you could easily sell it for what you paid, maybe more.

12. precision punk

precision punk

Mar 15, 2009
    I think its a great deal! I would jump on it.

13. Subsong

Subsong

Apr 23, 2008
    Wolverhampton, UK
    I paid $700 for a nice one in San Francisco earlier this year and I'm happy with that. It's a 1978 one also. It feels really small though, this is no criticism, just something to note. I also have a short scale Gibson EB-0 but this feels way smaller than that in my hands for some reason.

14. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Awesome. You've all been a big help. I might try to play it and see if it feels like anything I'd want to keep. If I was going to replace the pickup, do any of you have any recommendations? I'm thinking a humbucking strat pickup, probably with blades instead of pole pieces.

15. This is an Artec but the one I bought ($3) is similar. Click on the pic for the eBay 'auction'.
    [​IMG]

16. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    So I went and played it, straight neck, great action, tiny bit of rust on the tuners and bridge, a few dings here and there, but overall, pretty good condition. However, I figured I'd try to get it a bit cheaper, so I made an offer of $300, but the guy said "Look, I see you playing this thing, you're actually going to use it, I'm a guitar player and it's sitting collecting dust here, so how about you give me 200 bucks and we'll call it a deal."

Never in my life have I tried to haggle and get a better price, only to have the seller's counter offer be lower. I'm in shock.

So I got this thing for only 200 bucks, with a hardshell case and a little Peavey practice amp (which I actually could use for travel). Score! I'll post pictures tomorrow when I go to pick it up.

17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    SCORE!!!!

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    [​IMG]

19. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    A local pawn shop is asking $550 for one with a scratched up pickguard. If I had $350 to offer him, I bet he would take it. A new guard costs less than $60.

20. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    That is definitely a score!!! :hyper:

I say, use the money you saved and rewire it with the Aero Musicmaster Bass pickup. Then you'll have a little tone monster on your hands. :bassist: