1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1978 P-bass Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raised_fist, Sep 12, 2003.

1. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Alright, I have found an absolutely gorgeous Fender P-bass FRETLESS in a second hand guitar shop down here. Oh my god, this thing is insane. I live in Australia and these kind of things are pretty damn rare this way, but just to know that I now have one:) oh man that is a good feeling:)
    Anyway, everything aside, can you guys help me out...Looking at P-basses everywhere, I notice that this bass has more dials than most. It has a main volume, a "crackle-pot" haha (it needs cleaning), and then 2 more pots, extremely close together. I am assuming that this has something to do with the fact that it has EMG's installed. (?) But none the less, I knew that you guys would be able to help me out - why does it have the extra pots? Sorry if I have stated something really stupid in my above post, but you must realise that I am generally clueless in the form of Fender's. Before this I was mainly a Spector man... oh I am in love:)

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Somebody put an active EQ into that bass. What a shame.:( It should have nothing but volume and tone.

3. does it have an extra pickup? (I'm guessing the PJ set has been installed)

if so the "crackle pot" might be a pickup pan control.

has a cavity been routed on the back for the battery? (EMG active p/ups require a 9v battery)

4. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Yes it does have an extra pick up at the neck. And I am pretty damn sure that it does have place for the battery in the back. It would be pointless otherwise...Thanks guys!