1978 P-bass Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raised_fist, Sep 12, 2003.

1. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Alright, I have found an absolutely gorgeous Fender P-bass FRETLESS in a second hand guitar shop down here. Oh my god, this thing is insane. I live in Australia and these kind of things are pretty damn rare this way, but just to know that I now have one:) oh man that is a good feeling:)
    Anyway, everything aside, can you guys help me out...Looking at P-basses everywhere, I notice that this bass has more dials than most. It has a main volume, a "crackle-pot" haha (it needs cleaning), and then 2 more pots, extremely close together. I am assuming that this has something to do with the fact that it has EMG's installed. (?) But none the less, I knew that you guys would be able to help me out - why does it have the extra pots? Sorry if I have stated something really stupid in my above post, but you must realise that I am generally clueless in the form of Fender's. Before this I was mainly a Spector man... oh I am in love:)
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Somebody put an active EQ into that bass. What a shame.:( It should have nothing but volume and tone.
  3. does it have an extra pickup? (I'm guessing the PJ set has been installed)

if so the "crackle pot" might be a pickup pan control.

has a cavity been routed on the back for the battery? (EMG active p/ups require a 9v battery)
  4. raised_fist

raised_fist Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Yes it does have an extra pick up at the neck. And I am pretty damn sure that it does have place for the battery in the back. It would be pointless otherwise...Thanks guys!