1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1978 Precision help (picture heavy)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Waltsdog, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Waltsdog

Waltsdog Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Looking for some advice on this bass, it appears to me to be a legit and mostly original '78 with an odd refinish and a replacement pickguard. Oh and a terrible sticker that I removed but has left its mark :(
    Any Fender experts care to weigh in?

Attached Files:

2. I'm not an expert (they'll chime in for sure), but I like it. How does it play?
    If it was mine, I would look for a Ramones sticker to put on that.

3. Looks legit to me (I own a '78 Jazz). What is so odd about the finish? Looks like my olympic white. OK it is a bit to white under the pickguard / control plate.

4. 79 pots
    80 pickups

I would call it an 1980 Precision.

5. Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    You can see in the pics that there is white over the screw in the cavity. Also the spots where the finish is worn to the wood still have clear on them. So I think it was a natural that was painted white some time ago.

Ellery likes this.
  6. You're 100% right. I'm a bit confused now, 'cause the white in the control cavity is real white, whereas the body looks exactly like olympic white basses from that area. And we're not talking nitro finishes, we're talking poly. If your bass is a refinish it is very well done.
    This is my not-refinished all original '78 Jazz:
    78%20jazz%202016-02-23%2021.36.12.

Tbone76 and StayLow like this.
  7. Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Thanks I knew it would be somewhere between 78 and 81 ish. Just don't know how to decipher those pickup and pot codes.

Aqualung60 and FenderOli like this.
  8. Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    That's a nice jazz!

I can't get it to show up in pics but the white finish is checked in places and has clearly yellowed significantly. Maybe a coat of nitro over a previously natural finish, but who knows?
    It plays pretty nice as is but I'm taking it in for a thorough look over and set up by my local luthier as I need to make sure the neck is in good shape (it looks fine to me) etc. as I have a short return window in case it has issues.
    It was very cheap ($700) so I'm not overly worried about small things.

9. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Legit. Olympic white. That is the original fender factory color.

10. MetsMan75

MetsMan75 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2010
    It's original Olympic white that aged to banana cream like '70s Olympic white basses did to varying degrees. It's whiter under the pickguard because it wasn't exposed to environmental factors...smoky bars, uv, etc. That's common. As for sticker...transformers? Lol

REMBO likes this.
  11. I love the creamy color that finish turns to over time. I'm probably nuts but I would carefully mask off the entire body except for where the sticker was and set it in the window and let the sun beat on it until the sticker area yellows to match. (or do you need smoke filled bars to get that color?) Maybe a sun lamp?

MetsMan75 and Waltsdog like this.
  12. Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Transformers I could almost live with, unfortunately, it was this:
    $_57.JPG

I have half a mind to try and throw it under a UV light (covering all but the lighter sticker area) for a few hours and see if it makes a difference.

MetsMan75 likes this.
  13. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    I think that's just years of sun and life. There's no way to replicate it!

14. Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    Was typing my above reply as you wrote this haha. I'll wait til spring/summer and definitely give it a shot.

AndyPanda likes this.
  15. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    Hmmmm. It looks like a precision bass...

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Check the hole pattern under the pick guard the 70's had that weird screw pattern. I bought a new pick guard for my 78' and put the original up you can find them on eBay and that P and Jazz look really beautiful in white

17. RiZzBot

RiZzBot Drunk + bass + broken strap locks = :'( Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    Without having seen the pic later in the thread, I already knew it was a Lone Star Beer sticker. Awesome bass friend.

18. MetsMan75

Feb 2, 2010
    Haha I should have known. Well it was a well loved bass judging from the player wear. I'd play it as is or put your own sticker on it but that's one of my favorite colors...aged Olympic white which is the fender color vintage white basically. Was introduced in early '80s on vintage series to replicate an aged white bass. It's the clear coat that yellows over time.

Tbone76 and Waltsdog like this.
  19. MetsMan75

Feb 2, 2010
    Would take quite a long time. I'd rock it as is, it's part of its history like a tattoo.

bobyoung53, REMBO and AndyPanda like this.
  20. MetsMan75

Feb 2, 2010
    Oh and the black pickguard was standard on Olympic white basses in the mid to late '70s. One of my fav P Bass looks! Beautiful Bass IMO