1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1978 Roland RB-120 bass head - any info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by funkytoe, Sep 15, 2008.

1. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Just came into my possession. Anyone ever play one? Any info would be appreciated.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Not that head but a combo from the same era with that same power. It was a good sounding and seemingly powerful sound. I liked it. But I didn't follow what was going on with amps much then. Just bought them and played them. They made good amps then and still do.

3. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Thank you. I appreciate the input. I used to own a JC-120 from that same era and it was great. Never knew Roland made bass heads until I saw this one. Can't seem to find out much about it on the net. Anyway, thanks again for the help.

4. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Finally cleaned this up and got it hitting on all cylinders. :hyper: DAMN this thing is LOUD... Like Sunn/Acoustic loud. Its only 120 watts RMS but it sounds as loud as many 300-500 watt heads I have owned through the same 8 ohm cabs. Cabs are a problem by the way. This thing is designed for two 16 ohm cabs in stereo or a single 8 ohm cab in mono. So... cab choice is definitely limited.

Still, this thing is plenty loud and sounds GREAT.

Very simple to operate ... 3 knobs -- volume, bass, treble -- and three buttons marked "tone selector". Here is were I give Roland all the credit.

Button one is a bass boost designed to sound like an old B-15 -- and it does! Really. I call that button "James."

Button two is a treble boost that gives some insane highs. I call that one "John" (Entwistle of course). Not really a fan of this setting, as the treble boost creates an audible hissing even in cabinets with no tweeters. But, it will definitely cut through even the loudest guitar rock.

Third button is my favorite. Its a great mid bump that really brings out the harmonics on the bass. Sounds very close to the "solo" setting on a SansAmp BDDI. Great for almost all rock applications.

I have found that this head pairs best with sealed cabs. I use it with a sealed 1x15 JBL for old R&B (the James setting) and with a 300 watt 4x12 guitar cab (ala Marshall) for rock gigs. The thing is punchy, loud and breaks up nicely at high volume. I love to take out my Gibby and play old Mountain/Free covers through this thing. Never fails to put a smile on my face.

In 30 years of playing, I have NEVER/EVER seen another one of these. If you have one, or remember ever playing one, I would love to hear your thoughts.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    No pics no vintage Roland amp. :)

6. funkytoe

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    You are correct....Those are the rules.... So here we go: