1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1979/80 Bass Cases

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sarlscharisma, Sep 29, 2008.

1. sarlscharisma

sarlscharisma

Nov 6, 2007
    Does anyone know if the Fender red label molded cases were around in 1979/80. I just want to know this in relation to a bass which I might purchase.

2. sarlscharisma

sarlscharisma

Nov 6, 2007
    Here is picture...

guitar.

3. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    No. The cases were all rectangular back then.

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

Absolutly NOT!

Fender didn't start using that case pictured until some time in the 90's.

79/80 would probably still be the old Black Tolex, rectangle case with the raised chrome logo on it.

[​IMG]

They switched to the moded rectangular plastic case sometime in the very early 80's I thnk.

My 83 definitly had the black plasic rectangle case.

Either way,that case in your pic is not the correct case for a 79 or 80 Fender.

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    They had the molded ABS rectangular case in '78 for lefty basses, so I'd bet they had them for righties then, too.

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    My 78 ( by neck date) had the black Tolex rectangle case. Did you buy it new?

Keep in mind, S8 serial numbers were used up into the early 80's, so it's possible that an s8 serial number could be matched with a molded case.

7. sarlscharisma

sarlscharisma

Nov 6, 2007
    Sorry if I've confused people, the guitar was constructed 1980, but has some 1978 bits (all original).

Here is another bass from 1979 with a more modern case - is this one original to bass?
    guitar.

8. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston

I did a little looking around, and it seems from the info I found that the switch from Tolex to the rectangel moded plastic case was some time in 79, so I guess I was off by a year or two.

Could be original and period correct.

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yeah both would be correct...tolex or plastic rectangular.

10. sarlscharisma

sarlscharisma

Nov 6, 2007
    ...and does that include the 'shaped' molded one shown in the first picture I posted?

11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    NO! Absolutly not!

Fender didn't start using that case until some time in the 90's and just discontinued it this year.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Like Savit said...no absolutely not! :)

13. Richard89

Richard89

May 7, 2007
    Sweden
    I have that case for my 79/80 P-Bass, but I´m not sure it's original. Which years did Fender use that case?

14. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    The late 70s early 80s molded cases had rectangular latches, early 80s deluxe molded cases had twist latches and were a bit thicker. Late 80s to about 94 rectangual molded case with loop latches, 94-95 molded shaped red lable case until 2002. 2002 to 2008 molded shaped plastic case with FENDER molded into the case. Give or take a year to the best of my knowlage these are for the most commen Fender cases.