Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1979-80 Fender precision, Killer!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Funkster, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi all I need to fund some GAS that has come my way and need to sell this KILLER 1979-80 Fender P. This is a rare bass for that it is a transitional model when Fender was using up it's 70's parts in the early 80's. This badboy is all original. It's got a beautiful flame on the headstock and neck, It's a sweet comfortable B neck with Rosewood board and Perfect frets.
    Rare white pup covers that Fender was using in the early 80's. It's a Ash body at 10 lbs on the bathroom scale. It's in over all very good condition. The tone is fat and sweet. I have had this bass about 6 years and have recorded with and it sounds dynamite on tape.. The serial Number tells me that it's a late 79 or early 80 model.
    Email for questions and more pics, I'll try and post some more tonight!!
    I need to get 875.00 Shipped for this bass and that is a KILLER deal this bass is easily worth 1000 bucks at least.
    Non original hardshell case included..
    [​IMG]

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I didn't think that fender had the white pickups in 1980 (I didn't think it was until late 82 or 83 when they introduced those). Fender used S9 serial numbers up until 84 from what I am told. Have you pulled the neck to get a final date on this? Just curious because I have a fasciantion with the early 80's S9 serialed Fenders.

3. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    Very sweet looking bass BTW.

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Yep it's Feb 1980 B, I thought the same and I inquired the Swami at basspalace and he confirmed that yes Fender was still using New Old Stock parts left over from the late 70's up to 80 and this bass was most like assembled in 82 or 83 using old stock which is what makes this a rare bird..
    That's the info I have, They also didn't make B neck P's in 82-84 they were all C necks, I have a few 83's.. This bass is all Fender and all original

5. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Silly Question:

What's the difference between the B and C necks?

Thanks

6. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    The three fender neck shapes are as goes..
    A neck = 1' 1/2 width at the Nut Usually a Jazz bass width but 70's P basses sometimes came through with A's
    B neck = 1' 5/8 Width at the nut, P bass
    C neck = 1' 3/4 width at the nut, P bass

This bass is the comfy B-neck, It feels nice and play's fast. Great bass at a great price..

7. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I have a sister to that bass, an s911...
    metallic green

8. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Me too I have a 1979 P Bass in Pewter that I just put SB Quarter Pounder in!! These basses are great. They don't make em like this anymore guys!!

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    SOLD!
    Congrats Pickles! You got a good deal on a great bass.