1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1979 Fender P with Joe Barden's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cameron Mc, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Cameron Mc

Cameron Mc

Jan 20, 2003
    Roanoke, VA
    Roscoe Guitars-Benavente & LowEnd Basses-SIT Strings-Schroeder Cabs
    Hello All,

I recently purchased a 1979 P from the forums here, and it was a bit Frankenstein in nature. It had a J routed in the bridge, and uncommon to the body color, the neck is maple instead of rosewood.

The P-pup was not a stock original and was replaced with a Dimarzio. the J was just a standard fender J pup from my understanding. Due to the hot nature of the P, the J was kinda obsolete, so the store I teach at (Rocket Music) stocks Joe Barden Pickups, and we decided to experiment with some things.

here are pics of the before and after, as well as a video link live, and an mp3 of JUST THE P-PUP solo'd. I haven't done any blended recording or video's yet.

Before:
    Cams_P_Bass_Original_PUPs.

After:
    Cams_P_Bass_w_Bardens.

I hope this is helpful for those trying to get an idea of what things sound like.

MP3:
    http://www.rocketmusic.net/SoundClips/FootPrints.mp3

for the mp3, the bass is recorded direct into a Eureka Presonus mic pre, and I'm pretty sure it's set flat. I play over the fretboard of the bass for the woody tone, then switch to fingerstyle for the 2nd piano solo, and of course, the slap is slap. no volume or tone adjustments during the recording. Rehearsal take for a Graduate recital for the drummer. Tracked live.

VIDEO:

For the video, I'm running through a Mike Pope Mpp-1 preamp and a Schroeder Regular 1212. it's recorded from a digital camera, so you'll just have to imagine clarity and chest thump :p

Thanks for looking, and enjoy!

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    You already know I love it, and that I love them pickups too, have two basses with Barden P pickups installed.

3. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Is the calculated cost of a Joe Barden P-J set equal to the full price of the P and the half price of a J set ???