1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1979 Fender Precision neck question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sarlscharisma, Mar 10, 2008.

1. sarlscharisma

sarlscharisma

Nov 6, 2007
    I have a 1979 Fender Precision and want to know if the neck is genuine to the body. I have popped the neck and the only number is the serial number (1979) on the headstock. Unfortunately this does not match the one on the pickguard (1979 too!). So, I don't know if the neck is new to the body or it is just that the pickguard was replaced at some point. Is there any other clues that the neck might be from another bass.

2. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    Hard to say without looking at it, but Fender often built instruments from parts from different years. I had a 73 Jazz that had a 1973 neck and a 1972 body. Date it by the latest date on the instrument. Hope this helps.

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I have an 81 P that has one SN# on the neck, and 2 SN#s on the body (one of which matches)