1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1979 Music Man Stingray-players grade

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by narud, Mar 12, 2016.

1. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    Price:
    Strings:
    this is another bass im just not playing at all so its better off with someone who'll use it. its got some stories though.

first off the neck has been refretted and fingerboard resprayed. one of the tuners is a newer replacement i bought from ernie ball. fret job plays perfectly but visually not boutique level work. it also has the same sidewise kink that makes the G string sit closer to the edge of the fingerboard than it should that my 64 jazz i just sold did. the nut is cut with the strings biased to the bass side to compensate. heres the 64 jazz so you can see the same thing
    SOLD - 1964 Fender Jazz Bass L series-looking to trade down to 62/64ri + cash
    that bass sold for 3330 shipped to a dealer on the east coast, so the neck shouldnt be a concern. it doesnt effect playability and the neck is true.

next up is the body. someone stripped it and added contours. its a total pro job and feels like it was done at the factory. youll see the dowel holes on the back of the body that date this. the bridge is from an early 90's top load stingray and missing the mute kit. its also missing the string ferrules on the back of the body. both can be bought from ernie ball. i just never got around to it. neck plate is also a repro.

the pickup is also from an early 90's ray. the preamp is the correct circuit but is a repro and not factory. its built on an uncle fluffy board.

i had a B00 ray that i sold here in the classifieds last year or so that i got rid of because i preferred the sound of this bass. at 11 pounds its got some beef and power the other bass didnt have. however, im more of a fender guy and this bass never gets gigged. i still have a sterling that i can use for that rare time i want a musicman sound.

this a great way to get into an old ray without dropping serious dough. these necks have a completely different profile than the stingray classics. ive also a/b'd this to a stingray classic that the store i teach at has in stock and that bass doesnt come close.

975 shipped via some method that doesnt incur me getting hit with a fee.
    432FD2B2-FFBB-415C-84B0-2077CBAF021B_zpsqwhujmy2.
    441360D0-F2D1-41CA-B6F5-C18748446916_zpsp9une3hx.
    783613A6-FB4E-4605-AA2F-583A35ADEAB8_zpskpdzjvt8.
    F40EE1DF-5A74-40DF-B165-88D9B01A2578_zpslwvfalmq.
    8799409E-33E4-42CE-9B83-0E703A9ADC2F_zpsjqckdnd8.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Pretty cool and perfect for a refinish. I may have to think about this one.

narud likes this.
  3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i went back and forth many times as to whether or not to get it refinished. had i been playing it more, i probably would have done it.