1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1979 P Bass pot help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chalie, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,

I was cheking my recent bought 1979 Fender P Bass and has some question about the pots.

I have never seen the original Fender pot with a plactic shaft like those on this bass (both pots). The production number on it seems alright. Wonder if this could be original :help:

The impedance measured on both pots were over 250k, maybe 850k. Should I better replace them for a better sound. :hyper:

Thank for your advise.

Attached Files:

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    That's not stock. It must be a 1M pot.

It should be written somewhere on it.

I'd replace the pots with new 250k pots.

Oh and it's "resistance" not "impedance."

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    250K is the correct/stock replacement value but it will be slightly darker sounding than the 1M. If you like the sound of the bass right now but want better taper, a nice compromise would be a 500K pot for volume (linear taper works best) and a 250K for tone (audio taper).

That said don't expect pots to make a huge difference in sound quality. The changes are subtle.

4. Thanks. They were both writen 250k and have Fender numbers on the pot. I saw on eBay that are up for sale as same as mine so it should be original. Wonder why one of them has 870k and the other has 1300k. The point is I don't want to replace them if that doesn't trouble me but for such diviation I think it does.