Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1979 Rickenbacker 4000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by negro_flash, Feb 20, 2005.

1. negro_flash

negro_flash

Feb 20, 2005
    I'm looking to buy a used '79 Ric 4000, and I'm wondering if anyone owns or has played one. I just have some general questions (i.e. does it keep its tune, does it have a good neck/bridge, etc.) Also, does it have a second "Rick-o-Sound" input jack like the newer ones?

I appreciate any help someone can give me, and I'm sorry that my first post here was a REQ thread.

Thanks again.

[​IMG]

2. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I don't think it has Ric-O-Sound, since it's only got one pickup...

3. My step father has had one since the early 70's. I love it! Plays just like a 4001 or 4003. Typical Ric build quality. Sounds excellent.

4. I would expect it to be just like a Ric 4001, but with only a bridge pickup. No Ric-o-Sound. I believe 4000s are somewhat rare, but you should probably check with the Ric forum.

http://forum.rickresource.com/

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    FireAarro is correct, there is no Rick-O-Sound input jack on the 4000. That's for two reasons, one the bass has only one pickup and the other is that it's wired mono not stereo.

As for the quality of the 4000 compared to a 4001 or 4003. The same components(bridge/tailpiece/tuners/pickup/electronics, etc) are used in these basses. Also the same woods.

The main difference between the 4000 and the 4001/4003 (other than the pickup configuration) is that the 4000 uses a set neck body joint design rather than the neck through design used on the 4001/4003.

The 4000 was considered a basic RIC bass with it's non bound body, and use of dot neck position markers. The 4001/4003 have bound bodies and the MOP slash neck inlays and are considered "Deluxe" versions of the 4000.

The 4000 is a great bass providing its been taken care of. Just make sure you give it a good going over before buying it.

TD

6. negro_flash

negro_flash

Feb 20, 2005
    hey thanks a lot guys.