TRADED 1979 Short Scale B.C. Rich Eagle Bass - 1 of 3 made

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by RoyGBass, Apr 24, 2017.

1. RoyGBass

RoyGBass Thumper & Twanger

May 4, 2014
    New York, New York
    Price:
    Strings:
    1979 Short Scale B.C. Rich Eagle Bass

Incredibly rare (Supposedly 1 of 3 made) Short Scale Eagle bass
    Made in USA 1979
    Stunning Koa wood
    Neck Through
    DiMarzio double P's
    Badass bridge
    Grover tuners
    Neil Moser preamp
    Perfect neck
    30.5" scale

I dare you to find another!!

Very nice Ritter bag

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Now THAT is something I have NEVER seen!

Mvilmany likes this.
  3. RoyGBass

May 4, 2014
    New York, New York
    certainly a "rare bird"

thechillinvillain likes this.
  4. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    Rad!

5. ChazFilter

ChazFilter Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Cincinnati
    I owned two Bich basses with the short scale, but I never seen an Eagle with one, in koa no less. GLWTS

6. RoyGBass

May 4, 2014
    New York, New York
    A guy replied on another site with a pic of his short scale Koa Mockingbird. That's all I have seen otherwise.

7. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Well, that's simply an amazing bass. Good luck with the sale.

Lesfunk likes this.
  8. Jakeman92

Jakeman92

Nov 28, 2017
    Daaang!

9. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Truly a unicorn! Very cool...

10. Wish Inhad kept mine from 79,
    Can’t remember if it was a short scale. But the exact same config.
    The tone was amazing .

11. Skipper W

Skipper W

Apr 24, 2019
    My BC Rich Eagle Short Scale Bass

This is a bass that I thought had been lost. It had been sitting with my good friend and recording artist Peter White for over 30 years. I just got it back a several months ago and spent some time trying to figure out what to do with it as it needed to be restored. The frets, fingerboard were worn and the electronics had deteriorated. Should I clean it up with original parts or update it so I can use it as a contemporary instrument?

After taking it apart and cleaning everything up as best I could, I decided to update it but keep all the original parts in a separate box so it can be put into original condition if ever needed for resale.

The gentleman who supervised the building of the bass was Mal Stitch along with Neal Moser who he is still active making instruments. Both worked for Bernardo Rich (BC Rich) in east LA where I bought it in late 1977. It cost me a whopping $1,000.00 of which was hard earned money for me at the time. It was worth the pain as they were able to custom build a short scale bass for me of high quality which was rare for that period of time.

I always loved the way the BC Rich played but I had to jump through hoops to get it to sound the way I wanted in the recording studio, the main reason I abandoned it in the 1980’s as my main instrument of choice. I currently use Tobias basses and they are medium scale, still shorter than the average bass. Michael Tobias, also a well known small handcrafted luthier of fine instruments built my current models back in the mid 1980’s while he was in business in Hollywood Ca. before selling to Gibson.

I decided to have the electronics currently in my Tobias basses installed built out here in San Luis Obispo, CA by Bartolini. I then patched up all the extra holes with dummy plugs that can be removed if needed to make the bass original again. These plugs along with a set of custom Koa knobs with pearl inlays to match the wood of the bass were acquired from a wood craftsman in Portland OR. New Grovers Tuning machine heads were purchased, the exact same models as on the bass originally used and the original poorly working ones set aside.

Once I stripped the bass down to just the body, I then took it to Wilkins guitars in Van Nuys CA. and had it polished it on a wheel to a shine. When the bass made back in 1977, I was offered a satin or gloss finish. The only difference between the two was a fine piece of steel wool was used to rub the bass down and eliminate the shine. I was always disappointed with the decision and I am pleased with the look of it now.

The bass was then given to Norik of Renson guitars who has worked on all my instruments throughout the years to have him bring it back to life. Norik put all new frets on the bass ones that I am used to playing with now. The original were a wide fret a trend from that era and I wanted a thinner taller fret that would intonate better for me. In the process he sanded down the rosewood finger-board with the pearl cloud inlays (which some had to be reset) and applied the proper oil to seed the wood. Electronics were installed along with setting up the bass to play the way in the manner I wanted. A case for the bass was purchased which is New Old Stock from the 1990’s to protect the instrument properly.

These days I play mostly with my fingers and love to slap but back then the music I was playing required me to use a pick and the BC Rich was my main instrument for this. I have never felt that comfortable using a pick with the Tobias or even my old 1961 Fender P bass playing in this fashion. But once I picked up the the BC Rich Eagle short scale it all came back.

Those parts put away in the box for resale are now useless as I would never want to part with this bass. I now have my old bass back and it is something special to me to pull out and play that is inspirational.

Some unique things, the serial number is my name “Skip Wise 3-6-57" (my birthday) it’s the only bass that was ever done that way from the shop. There are only 3 of theses short scales basses ever built and only two survive to this day.

Here are some pictures before I did the work and bought all the replacement parts. I also included the original BC Rich brochure that lists all the artist that used their instruments at the time. I was playing the clubs in Hollywood, CA. and included is a photo of me playing the bass at the the Starwood Club (no longer there) on Santa Monica Blvd and Crescent Heights sometime in 1978.

Here is the Artist list from BC Rich 1978, I am at the end of the end of the page.

https://www.nealmoserguitars.com/pages/index.php?title=company/

History of BC Rich

https://reverb.com/news/bc-rich-origins-and-evolution

Regards
    Skipper Wise
    www.skipperwise.com

Before Pictures and After Pictures IMG_9623.jpeg IMG_9626.jpeg IMG_9628.jpeg IMG_9631 2.jpeg IMG_9634 2.jpeg IMG_9635 2.jpeg IMG_9639 2.jpeg IMG_9640.jpeg IMG_9641.jpeg curlykoasmdmkbsmopdotsglss.jpeg IMG_9762.jpeg IMG_9763.jpeg IMG_9764.jpeg IMG_9765.jpeg IMG_9766.jpeg IMG_9767.jpeg IMG_9768.jpeg IMG_9769.jpeg IMG_9770.jpeg IMG_9771.jpeg IMG_9772.jpeg IMG_9774.jpeg IMG_9775.jpeg Starwood 1978.jpeg

frustum likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2021