1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1979 WAL ELECTRIC WOOD PROIIe BASS

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by poman, Jan 22, 2012.

1. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    Bills to pay...this is a luxury I just can't afford to keep right now :crying:

1979 Electric Wood Wal ProIIe: These were only made for a couple of years and there was I believe only around 700 ever made. The body is ash, the neck is a ten piece combination of maple, purpleheart, and hornbeam(it's a 34 inch scale). The fretboard is Indian rosewood with vintage style frets and a new bone nut. The bass has been run on a PLEK machine and the fret job and setup are nothing short of perfect.

Wal ProIIe's are active basses with a very unique preamp. There is a separate volume and tone control for each pickup as well as master volume and pickup selector switch. The tone controls are unique to this bass in that they aren't just a passive treble roll-off, but they actually change the impedance of the preamp. There are also three switches, one being a low-mid boost, another is a bass cut/treble boost and the last being a the famous Wal pick-attack switch, which makes the bass sound like it's being played with a pick when playing fingerstyle.

Mike Lull has fully restored the bass to the tune of over $2200 dollars. Mike Lull's work is absolutely fantastic.

Playability on this bass is excellent and it's easier for me to pull of hard lines on this bass than any other I've owned. The bass has a soft V profile, like classical instruments. It takes a little while to get used to it, but when you do the neck feels like an old baseball mitt that's been broken in by years of use. The combination of vintage frets and the PLEK setup means that your fingers just glide up and down the neck with very little effort. I'm going to miss the neck on this bass more than anything.

There are a myriad of tones available with this preamp and pickups. The Wal pickups are SICK by the way. They're just sound powerful whether you play with a pick or your fingers. I've been playing this bass with my classic rock band for a while now and the tone fits in the mix perfectly.

Finally, this bass was custom painted by the guy who paints all of Mike Lull's basses did the refinish and he did an absolutely fantastic job. The Paint is still in excellent shape and only has one pin-head size ding near the bridge from being perfect.

This bass also has the original hard case, which are impossible to find(the case is in good shape, but one of the three latches isn't working). It's a cool 70's brown color and it is a LOT less bulky than modern hard cases and it does an excellent job protecting the bass. You cannot find these cases anywhere.

Although Wal is starting to produce basses again, they will never make another one of these. This bass is a classic and rare as hen's teeth. This Wal was made by the original guys at Electric Wood and it's a piece of history.

I've only seen one other ProIIe for sale; it sold for way way more than my starting bid and it had also been modified and routed for another pickup. This is a great price for a one of a kind, fully restored vintage instrument. I'm only selling this bass to pay off my mounting bills...she will be missed!!

$3,750 Shipped and Paypal Accepted

Trades + cash will be considered...thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    :hyper:

Attached Files:

3. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    :bassist:

Attached Files:

4. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    :ninja:

Attached Files:

5. ggoat!!!

ggoat!!! Banned

Apr 6, 2008
    Lousy-Anna
    Wow!

Bump for a great 70's bass...

I LOVE basses designed after the 70's paintwork from Mr. Rush's daughters' apartment...
    too+close+comfort.

LOVE it!

6. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Simply awesome.

7. I kinda expect to see the classifieds blowing up to fund raise for this. PMed with a longshot.

8. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    Ah yes, the Magnum PI chopper bass.....I almost bought this once....If it does not go, let me know Mark...

9. ChrisCassisi

ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    OMG!!! Anyone want to buy a kidney off me so I can buy this? I am 24 and pretty healthy so its still in great condition lol

Awesome bass. One day I will own my dream Wal bass. Just school is main priority right now.

10. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Dude.....I'd add at least $500 to your price and I think you would still get it......awesome bass.

11. refuge4

refuge4

Jan 23, 2009
    Houston, TX, USA
    Holy Moses! This doesn't need a bump but what the heck. That thing is hawt.

12. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    +1 for the Mr. Rush reference!

13. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    I am totally ok with anyone who feels the urge to pay more than my asking price :D

14. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    This is a killer deal!

15. dukaruk

dukaruk

Mar 12, 2008
    Saint Louis, MO
    Words fail, wish i had a creative solution to not enough money.

16. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    What a cool bass, just amazing, but I can't buy a bass just for hanging on the wal. I'd be afraid to play it and would rather hope that it falls in to the right hands.

17. poman

poman

Feb 18, 2002
    Ga.
    Ok guys the Wal is on hold...thanks!

18. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    Now you need a Rickenbacker!!!

19. TheDialog