1980/1981 G&L L-1000 for $500 with HSC -- should I get it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Dec 30, 2000.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    There's a local shop going out of business right near me and they have a 1980/1981 G&L L-1000 with hardshell case for $500 (I talked them down from $575). The slightly flamed maple neck is capped with ebony and plays nice. I'm not sure what the body is made of. It's perfect except for a little chip on the side of the fretboard, and the body was refinished. Do you think I should get it? And if I do get it, do you think I should get it sanded down and refinished professionally (it looks kinda botchy)?

2. That's one great instrument at a great price. Also, it's certainly one of the early ones which may prove to be more valuable in the collectors market if G&L prices ever start to climb (which I'm sure they will eventually). I'd definitely advise you to buy it, but I would only recommend refinishing the bass if you are quite certain you're not likely to part with it, as it will certainly affect its value. Having said that, since G&L prices are so low, it may never become incredibly valuable with collectors - which seems stupid IMO because they are fantastic instruments.

Now is the time to buy used G&L's. They are top notch basses but for some reason are very inexpensive to buy used. Take advatage of it.

BTW, the early L-1000 was a passive bass I believe. Is that what you have there?
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

RobW, I don't think refinishing the body on that G&L would lower the value of it any further, seeing as how it has already been refinished once.

1980-1981? I didn't realize that G&L was that old! I don't know the exact year the Leo left MusicMan, but he must have started G&L the day he walked out the door.
  4. Oh yes, I didn't notice that it had already been refinished. I was just lloking at G&L prices on http://www.gbase.com and the early '80's L-1000 all had much highre asking prices, although they were not refinished. Nevertheless, it's still a great bass.

I did see a very Bel Air green LB-100 for $629. If anybody wants a really fine P bass, this would be a great way to go.

[Edited by Rob W on 12-30-2000 at 01:59 PM]
  5. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Yeah, it has one passive split-coil musicman-like pickup. There is a 3 way switch: humbucking (parallel?), single coil, and single coil with enhanced bass. There are 3 knobs: volume, bass cut, and treble cut. The pickup was designed with excess bass and treble so instead of boosting a weaker signal you just cut an excessive signal, a great idea I think.

Does anyone know what colors (standard and custom) were available on 80/81 G&L's? Although, I'm not sure if getting it refinished in a color that was available would matter, since it was refinished... What do you think?

6. SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    A great G&L informative website is guitarsbyleo.com...
  7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    No. Absolutely not. In fact, maybe you should give their phone number, and I'll tell them what for! :D

Seriously, it's a great deal. If you drop over to http://www.guitarsbyleo.com, the guy you probably want to seek out is Greg Gagliano. As far as colors go, I think they did any color upon request. I remember the green and the red ones when they first came out. I just got my 1980 L-1000 this year (it's a refinned PINK!!!), and it's become my main bass. You're picking up the equivalent of a classic vintage Precision bass, with a better neck, better sound and better bridge. You absolutely can't go wrong, and if it's an ebony fingerboard, all the better.