1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1980/1981 G&L L-1000 for $500 with HSC -- should I get it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Dec 30, 2000.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    There's a local shop going out of business right near me and they have a 1980/1981 G&L L-1000 with hardshell case for $500 (I talked them down from $575). The slightly flamed maple neck is capped with ebony and plays nice. I'm not sure what the body is made of. It's perfect except for a little chip on the side of the fretboard, and the body was refinished. Do you think I should get it? And if I do get it, do you think I should get it sanded down and refinished professionally (it looks kinda botchy)?

Thanks,
    David

2. That's one great instrument at a great price. Also, it's certainly one of the early ones which may prove to be more valuable in the collectors market if G&L prices ever start to climb (which I'm sure they will eventually). I'd definitely advise you to buy it, but I would only recommend refinishing the bass if you are quite certain you're not likely to part with it, as it will certainly affect its value. Having said that, since G&L prices are so low, it may never become incredibly valuable with collectors - which seems stupid IMO because they are fantastic instruments.

Now is the time to buy used G&L's. They are top notch basses but for some reason are very inexpensive to buy used. Take advatage of it.

BTW, the early L-1000 was a passive bass I believe. Is that what you have there?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

RobW, I don't think refinishing the body on that G&L would lower the value of it any further, seeing as how it has already been refinished once.

1980-1981? I didn't realize that G&L was that old! I don't know the exact year the Leo left MusicMan, but he must have started G&L the day he walked out the door.

4. Oh yes, I didn't notice that it had already been refinished. I was just lloking at G&L prices on http://www.gbase.com and the early '80's L-1000 all had much highre asking prices, although they were not refinished. Nevertheless, it's still a great bass.

I did see a very Bel Air green LB-100 for $629. If anybody wants a really fine P bass, this would be a great way to go.

[Edited by Rob W on 12-30-2000 at 01:59 PM]

5. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    Yeah, it has one passive split-coil musicman-like pickup. There is a 3 way switch: humbucking (parallel?), single coil, and single coil with enhanced bass. There are 3 knobs: volume, bass cut, and treble cut. The pickup was designed with excess bass and treble so instead of boosting a weaker signal you just cut an excessive signal, a great idea I think.

Does anyone know what colors (standard and custom) were available on 80/81 G&L's? Although, I'm not sure if getting it refinished in a color that was available would matter, since it was refinished... What do you think?

Thanks,
    David

6. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    A great G&L informative website is guitarsbyleo.com...

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    No. Absolutely not. In fact, maybe you should give their phone number, and I'll tell them what for! :D

Seriously, it's a great deal. If you drop over to http://www.guitarsbyleo.com, the guy you probably want to seek out is Greg Gagliano. As far as colors go, I think they did any color upon request. I remember the green and the red ones when they first came out. I just got my 1980 L-1000 this year (it's a refinned PINK!!!), and it's become my main bass. You're picking up the equivalent of a classic vintage Precision bass, with a better neck, better sound and better bridge. You absolutely can't go wrong, and if it's an ebony fingerboard, all the better.