Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1980 fender Presicon special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Just got one of these and Im spechless. The body has refinished excellently with the orignal Candy apply Red head stock with a maple board. This has so much bottom end its insane how fat it sounds. I cant get enough of I never been much of a p-bass guy and this is still in passive mode. Then you kick it in then its gets this really funky active stingray tone. Ill post pic in the morning post pics of yours and reveiw of the bass.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Here is my walnut version of the same bass, mines an 82.

3. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Back in the late 90's I played in the host band for a local weekly jam. One night a guy shows up with an odd looking bass. It was a P bass with a thin jazz like neck that had that active/passive switch. He said it was a P bass special and I replied that I had never seen one. He gets up to play a few tunes and I quickly whipped around when he started to play through my rig. This bass not only had GREAT tight low end, but a mid tone that cut through the band mix clearly. When I went back on the stage I commented on how good the bass sounded. He then made a critical mistake! He told me to play it a bit. Not only did that bass sound great but played like a dream!! He just about had to pry it out of my hands. I asked him what he wanted for the bass. He laughed, but I said I was dead serious. He said he would never sell it. Well I asked the same question every time I saw him. I'm sure it got old to him, but I really wanted this bass!!
    I have played hundreds of basses over the years. I've also owned a bunch along the way. Some really stand out as special in my memory. This particular P bass special definitely fits in that catagory. Maybe one of the best all around production basses I've come across.