1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1980 G&L L-2000 Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gbrooding, May 7, 2015.

1. gbrooding

gbrooding Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Was hoping someone could lend some advise to me. I have the chance to purchase an L-2000 body, 1980, all original, fully functioning. Price of $200. Is this a good deal in your opinion? Are necks easy to come by?

Thanks so much!

Greg Brooding

2. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Just the body or with the electrics too? Not sure how easy it would be to source a 3 bolt neck.

3. gbrooding

Dec 22, 2011
    Yes, body AND full electronics.

4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Go for it. The electrics alone are worth that money alright. You might struggle to find a 3 bolt neck but time is on your side and, perhaps, it might be worth even getting a neck made for it. There is something special about early G&Ls.

Matt R, 10cc and gbrooding like this.
  5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Sick deal, I'd snap that up in a heartbeat!

Matt R, rogypop and gbrooding like this.
  6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Heck, yeah. Two MFD pickups are worth that by themselves.

gbrooding likes this.
  7. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    I thought I just saw a G and l neck on Ebay.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That's definitely worth it just for the electronics and bridge. All high quality stuff.

gbrooding likes this.
  9. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Wont disagree with anyone else but the first production L2000 basses came out in 1983. If it is dated 1980 it could be one of the prototypes with the pickups spaced a bit farther apart.

10. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    They didn't make many L2000s in 1980 but they made a ton from 1981 on.

gbrooding, Chef and Mike A like this.
  11. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Have any pics of it? Here's the body of my '81.

5AE91653-EFD8-4215-A598-710595410C3A_zpsk17pipze.

If it's from that early E-series era ('80-'83?) the parts alone are worth more than $200 if you were to part it out. (Those knobs are nearly impossible to find.) If you want to just turn it into a player, you should be able to find a later G&L neck or one of the Tribute (much cheaper, but nice) necks easily enough, although with the latter you'd need to decide whether to try to use it as a 3-bolt or drill the body for 4 or six bolt (probably not the best idea if you're interested in retaining resale value.)

gbrooding likes this.
  12. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    There is a G & L owners forum called "Bases by Leo", probably your best shot at locating a three-bolt neck as it's all G & L geeks. This thread talks about having one custom made, but there has to be a neck floating around out there. Worst case, maybe you can find one very close in dimensions and modify as needed. Warmouth could probably make one for you, but liable to be pricey.
    bassesbyleo • View topic - 1994 L-2000 3 Bolt neck replacement.

Here's a bad photo of my old war-horse 83', first generation with the older headstock, three-bolt neck and neck-tilt function.
    DSC00902_zps10fbb027.

Last edited: May 8, 2015
    gbrooding likes this.
  13. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Ah right, forgot about the E series starting in 81. I was thinking about the pointy stock starting in 83.

gbrooding likes this.
  14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    $200 is fair enough I guess, but, you're gonna have a hard-ish time finding a neck for it. They pop up every once and a while, but, they're not common.

gbrooding likes this.
  15. Mike A

Mike A

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    It wouldn't be hard to put a neck on it that would make it a great player. Restoring it with an original era neck will be tough.

Sooo... what's it look like?

gbrooding likes this.
  16. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    You have to decide what YOU want out of this.

If you're looking to make money, you could :
    1) Try to find a correct time-period neck for it, pay a premium price for it, and then have the unbroken-solder-joint cork sniffers turn up their noses at it anyway, because it's a "parts bass."
    2) Bolt on a Tribute or similar neck, drill three more holes in the body, and see above.
    or,
    3) go show it off at the G&L forums, and probably double your money without doing ANYTHING else to it. Sell it as is.

Of course, I'd just find a good quality neck, modify the pocket any way it needed to be done, and play the heck out of it for the next 20 years. Those G&L's really STILL don't command the respect (nor collectability value) that they should, and if that's a Mahogany-body one, I would have a hard time letting go of it myself. Those are KILLER basses!

17. gbrooding

Dec 22, 2011
    I would be buying it as a player. I am not looking to turn it. I am waiting for pictures of the neck pocket, hoping to get those today. Thanks for all of the help, I am going to grab it if it's a legit body.

Mike A likes this.
  18. tinman 1967

tinman 1967

Mar 6, 2010
    That's a real chunk of wood fight there. My friend still has his l 2000 he bought in 80 or 81. Great bass! I'd look for an early neck for her( before they put the "point " in the headstock ... Nice score!

gbrooding likes this.
  19. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    You don't have to get a L2000 neck, specifically. My L2000 has an early SB2 neck on it, works just fine

[​IMG]

Either way, your life will be enhanced by the presence of a L2000.

Mike A and gbrooding like this.
  20. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I'd pay that for it. I bought a 1981 Hog/Ebony new when they came out. Wished I still had it, but a bit of fair warning.....those early necks were kind of thin and were prone to twist and such. Be careful when buying a neck from that era if you find one.

gbrooding likes this.