1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1980 Ibanez Blazer Bass ID!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by knigel, Mar 23, 2010.

1. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Ashland, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    IMG_0974.jpg

Hi everyone,

I'm hanging out with my buddy in NYC, and he has an old Ibanez Blazer. I had an 82, and it was pretty much a P bass copy. The pickguard is not original, so don't go by that. What about that bridge pickup? Any Idea what model Ibanez this is?

This guy is a 1980, and has a...J pickup, kind of, plus the P pickup. We were trying to figure out what model it is, and if it was some kind of special edition. It is not listed in the catalogs, or at least the catalogs we can find online. Here it is (sorry for the dark pics...):

IMG_0972.jpg

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    The pickup closest to the bridge is original. It's nice. I had an '80 or '81 that was like that. It was just under 14K, pretty hot single coil. Later they switched to the regular split-P pickup.

On yours the bridge pickup is original, someone added the split-P and switches later.

I just remembered why I sold it, it's on the heavy side.

3. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Old school! My first bass was an '82 Blazer. I currently play an '81 Blazer, which is very much a P clone. I have another '82, and these are like P's on steroids.

I think the one you have is simply the original model. They just quickly went to the P copy, then the steroids model that became the Roadstar.

4. Hi.

My first was a Blazer as well :).

I'd agree with GlennW, the P is installed afterwards. I put Model G humbucker (IIRC) in the neck position.

The single coil is good, but most of these were modded for second pickup for more versatility.

Relatively heavy bass.

Regards
    Sam

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
  6. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Ashland, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Sorry I disappeared from this thread--I'm building a recording studio in NYC. Ten hour days followed by partying followed by ten hungover hour days...I'm getting too old for this sh...tuff.

You nailed it with the Cimar Dan! Do you know anything more about Cimar? Was it like Antoria--made at the same factory as Ibanez, only exported somewhere else?

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020