1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1980 Ibanez Musician MC-924LE Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowdeno25, Dec 18, 2018.

1. lowdeno25

lowdeno25

Sep 28, 2013
    Has anyone got any info on the 1980 Ibanez Musician MC-924 limited edition. There is plenty of info about the 9400LE (which has different inlays and end of fretboard), but very little on the 924LE (round inlay, square cut fretboard end). Would love to know the wood used etc. Seen here alongside my 1982 Roadster. IMG_1933.JPG

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Hmm, that looks like real walnut rather than walnut stained ash that the regular 'DS' has.

lowdeno25 likes this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I can't add anything useful for you at all.

But those are two smokin hot basses.

Nunovsky, ErikP.Bass and lowdeno25 like this.
  4. lowdeno25

lowdeno25

Sep 28, 2013
    IMG_2175.JPG Back of the MC-924LE, with 38 years of buckle rash, but lovely wood. I have an American Walnut bass by Bernie Goodfellow and it’s nowhere near these shades or grains.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Nunovsky likes this.
  5. lowdeno25

lowdeno25

Sep 28, 2013
    7E59668A-6BD9-4526-8267-F39E138F2F68. The 1989 Nightingale Bernie Goodfellow bass one piece American Walnut body.

DiscoRiceJ and Caca de Kick like this.
  6. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Huh. I never would have associated that reddish DS with walnut. Oh... you're probably talking about the brownish DS that was on the earlier models, mostly the MC-900. I can see that.

MC-980 has walnut front and back rather than ash, but the stain is a different colour, also. There is definitely a tint in the clear finish of the earlier models (up to '82 or so?) that you can easily see on the maple parts.

Also, the mahogany core on mine is very much the same shade as the front and back, while on the LE above, the core is very much lighter than the front.

Caca de Kick and lowdeno25 like this.
  7. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    The back looks like koa, and core of the body may be maple, I saw in some older catalogs that some of the six-string Musicians had a maple core rather than mahogany.

8. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I know that it is a fine looking specimen!!! My knowledge ends there.

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  9. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    The top and back look like walnut. Some cuts have some lighter bits. Likely a maple core and obviously maple neck. Classic combination, needs some TLC, especially those bridge screws! Nice bass!

lowdeno25 likes this.
  10. lowdeno25

lowdeno25

Sep 28, 2013
    Have the bridge screws sorted, the bent machine heads next, still fully functional, but it look like it spent the last 30 years in a punk band without a case. Solid construction throughout allowed it to survive.

11. I can't help you with your question, but have to say those are two beautiful Ibanez basses!

lowdeno25 likes this.
  12. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    drool drool drool drool drool

I love old Ibby’s and have quite a few, but neither of those.
    Both are at the top of my GAS list, and they look to be in great shape!

I apologize - like a number of ppl already, I’m of no help - just wanted to complement your taste in basses.

lowdeno25 likes this.