1980 Precision Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    [Edit: Not Deluxe but Special]

There seems to be a 1980 Fender Precision Special for sale few hours drive here, I have seen the pics and it's beautiful white with maple board one, even if it has some wear and tear. It's the first active bass Fender has produced, but what would it be worth?

And what about early 80s Fenders in general, I think they had some quality problems at the time?

The store is asking around $1000. I wonder, if I would trade my Spector for it..
  2. Hmmm - I just replied to a similar question. Not sure about the Deluxe, but I have a Precision Special that has a switchable active circuit. looks like a standard P-bass except it has 3 knobs - it has bass and treble controls instead of a tone control. Did the bass have a matching headstock???

If it is a Precision Special I'd say keep the Spector!! As you know I have both! If it's a Deluxe - couldn't say, never seen one! I might suggest that you spend your money on EMG DC40 pickups and an EMG BTS preamp to upgrade your Spector! $1000 seems awfully steep for a 1980 P-bass!
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    IIRC, the Deluxe wasn't available until 1991.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The bass you are looking at is a Special, not a Deluxe.

$1000 is on the high side, if it's in super clean condition and has the original case, etc. it would be an OK price but you can find them for less (as lows as $700 or so).

If it has "wear and tear" $1000 is too much.
  5. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, sorry, Precision Special it is. I was just going to bed when I wrote that. I would think it's rather a '82 model though, I happen to have 'the Fender Book' and it says standard finishes for 1980 Special were blue and red, and the 1982 ad shows olympic white.

The thing with the Spector is, I have been pondering about going back to four-strings. (Johnny, wanna trade your four for my five? ;) ) But, I'll have to think about that and not to haste.

Brian, are you talking about prices in the States? In Europe they are in generally somewhat higher.

On second hand, there would be this beautiful flamed maple Neuser Cloudburst for $1300 :eek:

6. Sorry but the four has been sold on - at a tidy profit! I now have a five for sale too! And I'm keeping a five!!!! Can't blame a guy for trying??;)
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I just got a '90 Precision Special with factory Custom Shop paint job for $545. I think $1000 is too much...

8. The Precision Special that you have is a very different beast to the one being mentioned here:)
  9. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Perhaps I should mention that it's American Precision Special, produced from 1980 to 1983 or so. It has P pickup and active 2-band electronics.

I wonder if it's a 1980 or 1982 thought, they claim it's 1980 but the Fender Bass: Illustrated History has copy of the 1980 ad which says the standard colors are Lake Placid Blue and Candy Apple Red.

Not sure about the bridge either, the book says that a bridge with grooves for saddlepins was used at 1982, but OTOH it has pictures with the "1982" bridge on 1980 bass and a picture of 1982 bass with the "1980" bridge. They might have mixed the thing up but I can't really see why Fender would had gone from grooved to non-grooved at that point.

10. Mine is a very different blue to LAke Placid Blue - although I've seen one that colour! Mine is more like Aqua marine Blue. Mine I reckon is an 1983!

I got to thinking about the price - mine was bought for me for my 21st!!! It was £425 back in 1991 ($600), so maybe for Europe $1000 isn't that ridiculous! I wouldn't rtrade a Spector for one though, but I wouldn't part with my Fender either, it's too good and too much sentimentality goes with it!
  11. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    You're describing a 1980 P-Special (painted headstock & white pickup covers, gold hardware, right?) in good-very good condition. Those are going for around $500 right now. You can get the walnut ones for less than $1k in today's depressed market. DO NOT TRADE A SPECTOR FOR IT!!! I sold a great-playing one in Lake Placid Blue to the dude a few years ago for far-far-far less than what that dealer's asking for that bass. Check ebay, they pop up every once in a while (less so now since people are holding on to them because the prices are so low at the moment), or email the Dude (vintgebass@aol.com) to see if he can help you locate one (there'd likely be a small fee involved, but you'd be much further ahead than what you're considering). Best of luck!
  12. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I know what you mean Johnny, the Fender History has pic of 1980 Lake Placid, and it does indeed look more like Aquamarine. And, as the laquer ages, it turns more yellowish. The white 1980 bass at the store looks more like light yellow!

Perhaps I could bid a bit. But if the basses are around $500 in the States, it would be cheaper to order one from there, methinks :rolleyes: