1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1980 Rickenbacker 4001

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stadic, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    Yo guys. Anyone know of this bass? I see a few pics and stuff and it looks real nice. I might wanna get one in blue, but they are REALLY exspensive, well atleast for me. 1,300+. Is this bass really worth the prices I've seen for it? I thinkin of gettin this or a Fender Jazz.

2. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Your call. I have a hard time paying that when they were probably 450 brand new. Inflation bites.

3. I'd reccomend a 4003 - it has modern truss rods, and they are easier to adjust...plus, a new one sells cheaper than that..

Play both the Ric and the J bass, because they are 2 totally different beasts....I obviously prefer the Ric though.

4. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    Alright thanks a bunch. I might wanna give them both a try before I make my desision. But there is this one bass thats cought my eye and it looks soooo pretty. Ummm, anyone know the price of this bass. [​IMG]
    It's a 1979 Rickenbacker 4001.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You mean blue like my September 1980 Azureglo 4001?

Attached Files:

6. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    Damn you! Lol, how much did you pay for it? I REALLY want to get it.

7. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    New Rics go for about a grand.

8. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    I figured as much. But is it really worth it? I mean, are they really that good?

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If I told you, it would ruin your evening. Suffice it to say it was much, much less than the $1300 mentioned above.

Pawn shops can be a good thing.

10. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    I think the general consensus is that they're worth more, if anything.

11. BigKahuna13

BigKahuna13

Nov 21, 2004
    LI New York
    I've have a '78 that I bought brand new for about $350. Love it and will never part with it. Had asked a local shop what the going rate was - just to satisfy my curiosity and was told they'd probably offer 900-1000 and sell if for 1400-1500.

12. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    Ugh, I guess thats a good thing. Can you atleast tell me where it's between? Lol, I need to know how much I have to save up. I wish I had a job. But I don't think there are any pawn shops around here. Never seen any around North Jersey.

13. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    Lucky bastard, how?

14. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Since he bought it new, it must've been in '78 (or possibly a bit later).

;)

15. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    Lol, looks like I missed out on that one. I was about... hmmm... -12 years old? Lol.
    I got a quetsion though. whats the difference between the years?

16. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Yes. They are.

17. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I love rickenbackers, i want one and am going with the 4003. 4001 truss rods scare me :p, plus the new one has that push pull tone selector.

18. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ
    If what I'm SEEN, there doesn't seem to be that much a difference between the 4001 and the 4003? Anyone care to tell the differences?

19. Stadic

Stadic

Apr 17, 2006
    NJ