1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1980ish silverface Fender Bassman 10 with 6 10s?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass V, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    what's the uncommon history on these? did a 6x10 BM cab actually exist?
    I found a stunning chest-high piggy-back Fender silverface at a local shop yesterday and instantly became intrigued, I now find they tend to be fine low vol. bass amps. as I lit out the owner claimed 4 10s were inside the cab, then in my nascent research I've seen nothing but typical square 4x10 combos with 0 mention of a larger option, but this tall dude could easily handle another 2! now I'm kicking myself for not peeking... but I found this quote - ''Starting in 1972, Fender produced a number of variations on this Bassman with varying wattage and speaker size.'' plus, they seem quite inconsistent in performance quality with some being great for both bass or guitar and others dog-ish, then there's 2 distinct versions from the era to contend with, each having their pros / cons. I feel another trip to the music store comin' on.

The Bassman 10, Fender's hidden secret for bassists.

Souping Up a Bassman 10

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/fender-bassman-ten.940882/

Fender Silverface Bassman 10 | Ampwares

2. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    A picture of the amp would be helpful in identifying what you saw. In the late 60's Fender started making the cabinets much larger than necessary. A 2x12 cabinet was probably large enough to hold 6 10" speakers. I have a 72 Bassman 100 and the original cabinet was huge and held 4 12" drivers.

3. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    Dont know about a 610 bassman but ages ago they made a Super 6 reverb with 6x10s. Puts out 100 or 135 watts depending on the year. Weighs in the high 90s and has a master volume. But its a guitar amp.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Always thought the super six was a 6x12 but you're right it's 6x10. Absolutely beastly sized amps. Can't imagine running guitar through one of those cranked up, nevermind carrying the darn thing.

Bim1959 likes this.
  5. super six. could be a bassman ten head in that cab.