1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TRADED 1980's Nady "THUNDER" Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Razman, May 18, 2018.

1. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Price:
    Strings:
    Ah yes, the ‘80’s! Some folks despise them, some miss them and long to go back. I’m of the latter bunch.

PC language didn’t exist, ‘black’ and ‘white’ were, well, black and white; pop music was actually pretty good, and fluorescent colors were the rage. Hair was big, and so were MC Hammer’s pants (and ego) and the likes of Miley Cyrus hadn’t been born yet – much less scarred our memories.

Sure, there are many things we wish we could forget (like Zubaz and how you looked for your high school yearbook photo – and possibly a girlfriend or two) but it was a defining era that was very special.

Much like this Nady “THUNDER” bass guitar, there really isn’t anything else like it out there today. Made somewhere between 1985 and 1987, its claim to fame was that it came with a wireless unit built inside the body so you could play free of cords or cables or any other impediment (well, except for skill).

Not to mention the 24 jumbo frets, the exquisite lightning-bolt inlays, pointy headstock that seemed to adorn anything with strings on it that was beloved by every pimple-faced adolescent Van Halen hopeful, it also featured neck-through construction and that highly desirable Japanese quality we all covet today.

The bass was made by Fernandes in Japan and then fitted with the wireless system in the US. It takes two 9v batteries, and operates on the VHF frequency spectrum. It can also be used passively as well with a cord; controls are vol/vol/tone and the output is clear, aggressive and hot.

It has a solid, quality feel to it; controls are smooth and clean, the P & J pickups sound good solo or blended, and the headstock can be used as a bayonet in the event of a bar fight to make your escape.

This bass was a local rescue that I documented in this thread: NBD - NADY THUNDER BASS - 1985-87

It comes with the original hard-shell case (note the orange frequency sticker on the outside), case candy, and receiver, but I haven’t been able to get the receiver to work. I even purchased another unit off the ‘Bay (a microphone/receiver combo) but it too was dead. My local electronics tech didn’t have much luck with them either, and I missed an opportunity to get one locally because it was about two hours away from me and I couldn’t make the trip in time. I’m still upset that I missed that one!

So between now and when it finds a new home I’ll keep hunting for a unit to swap out the crystal in and make it 100% functional but finding working systems is a challenge (despite the listing stating it was tested, ahem, ask me how I know).

It has a couple of blemishes, one on the back that appears to be buckle rash, and on the headstock where some ignoramus didn’t take care when placing it on a hangar (what a bonehead). Oops, I’m sorry, it’s not the 80’s – my bad for the bonehead comment – if I’ve offended you because you are a bonehead, or if you struggle with your identity as one, I apologize.

The truss rod works fine but the action is a little high – the fretboard is thin and sits level with the body, and the bridge at its lowest setting isn’t low enough. I dialed in a teeny tiny amount of pull-back on the neck and adjusted the saddle grooves to lower the strings some more and that helped. With the .105 strings on it the bass is very playable and intonates just fine (I used it in my most recent performance) but don’t expect to make this something you can tap on.

So I think that about covers everything, let me know if you have any questions at all. While this bass actually sounds pretty darn good and works well in the context I need it for, I really need a true backup to my five string that I can detune when required or employ if I break a string on my main bass.

Trades for five (or more) string basses will be considered and cash offers in the $3-$400 dollar range, subject to debate as I’m still trying to obtain a functional receiver. If you’re within two hours of NE FL I’d prefer to meet for a trade. I also take PayPal, credit cards, and Conklin Groove Tools 7 string basses. Yeah, one of them would work.

Best,

Raz

2. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
  3. Don't want to be the kill joy but legal wireless frequencies have changed since the 80's. Depending on it's operating freq., it may be illegal to even turn it on. Doing so could get you a hefty fine.

4. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    No joy killed, mate. ;) While I'll have to read the entire doc that @Johnny Crab posted, I think it would be highly unlikely that the FCC is out trolling neighborhoods fishing for VHF violators. I'm not sure what sort of issues such a low-powered system would cause for someone enough to warrant a search, but I'll add this disclaimer to the ad - operate at your own risk!! (Besides, one would still need to fix the receiver, as I indicated in the ad...)

Regardless, it works fine with a cable (and would also do well with an external wireless unit) and if one was creative, one could retrofit a more modern wireless system in the body (which might be a fun project - but not for me.)

To assist with calculating shipping for those curious, my zip is 32073. The bass in the case with all contents weighs 26.4 lbs and its dimensions are 48"x15"x4". To ship I'll most likely wrap the HSC in some layers of heavy-duty furniture bubble wrap and then cover with brown wrapping/shipping paper. I've used this method in the past with good success, and it saves weight yet provides plenty of protection. I'll also add some bubble wrap inside to keep the bass from moving, and detune the strings.

That said, I guesstimate adding 6-7 lbs to the weight, and two inches to each dimension. I prefer to use FedEx ground, but feel free to find the best option for your location. Changes to size/packaging will alter the price.

Thanks for looking!

Raz

5. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Local trade pending...

6. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Traded!

Johnny Crab likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021