1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1980's Trace Elliot GP11 MK IV preamp - WOW ! (oh, and Mesa Boogie !)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mb94952, Mar 9, 2010.

1. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

In the 1980's I used to own two Trace Elliot AH150 GP11 MK IV amps. I bought them in San Francisco about a year and a half apart and they had consecutive serial numbers. I used them to record on a CD ( then DAT tape) and in the late 90's I lost both of them to a pawn shop in the midst of my drug induced ... well, "lost weekend" that lasted over a decade.

Since then I have owned and played (oh, yes, years clean and sober now !) most descent brands of high end bass amps. Even Demeter, Alembic, and the Yamaha PB-1. I "think" I'm done amp GASSING and I have a Mesa Boogie M6 Carbine - AWESOME !!!!!!!! Can't describe how awesome this amp is, and a Mesa Boogie Walkabout (also awesome).

I have had my eye out for a vintage 1980's Trace Elliot GP11 MK IV amp. They are a little hard to come by nowadays.

Well, I found one (beit a preamp only) in near mint condition WITH the footswitch still in it's original box !

I plugged it in to my vintage Peavey M-1600 power amp amp I couldn't believe HOW AWESOME THIS PREAMP IS ! I forgot !! This amp has articulation, GROWL, clarity, speed, WARMTH, and PUNCHINESS !

I would safely say that the vintage 1980's Trace Elliot GP11 MK IV is definitely one of the BEST bass preamps ever produced.

So, between my Trace Elliot GP 11 MK IV, and my two Mesa Boogies, I think I'm done amp GASSING for now... Now to the cabs...

Hope this was entertaining and informative for you...

2. boamedt

boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    i love my vintage trace

3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I had one of those "long weekends" and am also now much more moderate in my ways...

Still play though... and also live in Sonoma County. If we're not careful, this will turn into a So Co GTG thread.

:D

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You, sir, have excellent taste! :D I share your love of Mesa/Boogie and Trace Elliot. Here are some snippets of my personal "addiction":

134_3406.jpg

105_0526.jpg

Bad bass face, but one of the few shots of my Fathom (M6) in action...
    SDC10087.jpg

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020