1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 1981 G&L L-2000E 'Hog body- Canada/ US 48

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by El Tookay, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    I couldn't edit the original post, so here it is again...
    1981 G&L L2000E , this is a player, please read the full description....body date is not visible, but bridge, neck plate, knobs and control plate all date to early 1981, neck date is 1981, serial number on bridge is B0047XX, has the second-generation pre-amp (the treble control works on the bridge pickup solo'ed, whereas the first generation had no treble control on the solo'd bridge pickup), pickups are from a 1984, as is the battery cover. Body has been stripped and thin refinished by a previous owner, and has a crack in the grain that looks ugly, but is solid.
    Neck has a gorgeous golden patina, truss rod works fine, frets are original, rosewood board is very dark, almost looks like ebony, has some wear marks on it, but nothing that affects playability. measures just under 1-11/16ths at the nut, thin and flat around the back, weight is about 10.5 lbs., which is quite light for mahogany. Decent OHSC with brown fur interior and one bad latch included.

Like all mutts, this one excels sonically. The bottom end is HEE-YOOOOOGE, and (currently) strung with ProSteels and played with a pick, it sounds mean as hell. I prefer this one in parallel, as it has some snarl, but with a monsterous attitude. Flats and OMG mode on this one are banned in several US states for fear of environmental/ seismic concerns...Buyer is responsible for any demolition work that may occur...

$750 shipped Canada / US, deal for the local cats.

Looking for a cash deal, trades are limited to G&L's, esp. fretless, yep, I can rock out on a blank board, or US StingRay, again, points for fretless.

And what the hell, I'll certainly consider Gibson basses (Thunderbird, Ripper, G3, Victory).

Attached Files:

2. El Tookay

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    More pics...

Attached Files:

3. El Tookay

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    back shots...

Attached Files:

4. El Tookay

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Are you checking out my crack???

Attached Files:

5. krustwell

krustwell

May 18, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Very nice. Right up my alley, too. Too bad my wife and I just started the "Debt Snowball" with Dave Ramsey: there's nowhere in the budget for (completely justifiable) bass purchases.

glwts

6. Bunyo

Bunyo

Jan 6, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I would buy it, but need to wait. Dont know how long, maybe a month even.

7. El Tookay

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Thanks, krust! Bunyo, you KNOWWWWW you want it :D !

Big Hog Bump!

8. Bunyo

Bunyo

Jan 6, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Yes I want it badley. Its the matter of time.

9. El Tookay

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Took my Wunkay in to my tech for a fret dress and had this one in the other side of the double bag. My tech looks at it and tells me the neck looks like the Alaska Highway- humps and dips everywhere. It has played fine with medium-low action, but has never been able to get down there without buzzing like a hive of hornets- cause found. In addition, he informed me that to get it right would be a re-fret and a planing- if there is enough fingerboard to plane. UGH! I totally trust his call- Barry Ewart of Ewart Guitars, factory authorized service center for Fender, Gibson and Martin...yeah, Uncle Barry is plenty qualified. So....

I'm closing this thread down. I won't have the bad karma of hanging a pooched neck on anyone, and way too much respect for the TB community, and all youse GLeeks in particular. What happens next is pretty much an economics-based question. I have been itching to have another go with Moses necks, or the existing mess may become a pile of fretwire and epoxy bottles- this bass would kill toothless....but it's gonna need a hell of a lot of work. Thanks to all for the interest. Cheers! Craig / El Tookay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.