1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1981 L1000; slotpole pickup; mahogany/ebony

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Chef, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    F/S due to downsizing at work...
    Very nice 1981 L1000.
    Condition is what you'd expect from this vintage, some finish checking, the typical ''thumbrest" wear by the pickup, some nicks and dings...all of which add up a nicely charactered axe.
    Particularly well done tobaccoburst body-my G&L fave color.
    Ebony fretted fretted is also my G&L fave spec; 1 3'4" wide, and shallow; a beautifully easy player. Replacement brass nut adds a little bite and sustain.
    Slotpole pickup with pole pices adjustable for both height and tone; the slot in the pole changes the magnetic field effecting a subtle but audible change; little more aggressive one way, a little less so the other.
    Controls are volume/treble cut/bass cut...why everyone doesn't do this is beyond me...and a coil tap with dual coil, single coil, and the notorious OMG Mode: single coil with bass boost. A bass of many, many voices that range from aggressive Precision/Musicman/Jazz neck position variants, to big fat old school tone. G&L's controls are particularly responsive to small volume and tone changes.

Comes with a non-G&L, but period correct Fender molded hsc.

$750+shipping via paypal e-check or money order

L1000wf.
    L100cf.
    L1000hs.
    L1000cr.

2. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    OHHHHH NOOOOO, my old bass and I have no money!! I played this bass for 8 years and my only bass....It's amazing!!!!

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    PM sent

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    sold, with thanks, to PSPookie, payment pending

5. Argh! Exactly the type of bass I seek . . . Missed it again, and I was even paying attention today.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    check out the G&L El Toro I have listed...

7. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    Sold in four hours- AAARRGGGGHHHH! What about us guys who gotta work during the day? (oops- sorry Chef). I've been lusting after a Mahog/ebony L1K for a while- and this even had a brass nut! Methinks you could've done better on Ebay (I sure would have bid it up over 750). Had the same experience with that all black/ebony L2K here on TB- gone before I had a shot :bawl:

There really is something magical about ebony boards on G&Ls (like my 1505). Too bad they've been discontinued.