1982-83/4 USA Guild X702

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JIO, Jul 26, 2013.

1. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Curious if anyone out there owns one. Somewhat rare. Saw this one sell recently on ebay. One crazy shaped bass that. Almost so ugly it's cool.

adoETr7s.jpg

acu5ypTs.jpg

adyQeghz.jpg

2. Well the bass is based (pun intended) off the X-79 Guitar which was played by Twisted Sister and Judas Priest.

The "Sparkle versions, (as seen below) are even cooler!

Sparkles.gif

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It is hideous (in a cool way) but I would rock the CRAP out of that thing!

4. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    +1 - RR:bassist:RRAA:bassist:AA:bassist:AAWW:bassist:WWKK:bassist:KK! (A beast of beauty!)

5. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG! Commercial User

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    QC technician for WMDevices
    Guild made some really cool basses back then and this is no exception.

I'll take one in chrome please.

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I just want to show up to a modern country gig with one of those just to get this look :eek: from my guitar player buddy who thinks that if you play ANYTHING other than an American Fender P bass (4 string of course) in country then you ain't $#!t.

Then i would play it all night so I could watch him do this :mad: all night.

7. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Let's start a movement! :D "The piss off yer' close-minded bandmates" movement. (righteously rockin' florescent purple sparkled Guild basses!) :bassist::bassist::bassist:

8. You can hear one here... one of the first Smiths gigs.

9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    ...you mean 'a Guild bass', which it is but not this particular one. Sounds rad regardless. Cracks me up sometimes how a 'dated' design stops players from using an otherwise great sounding bass... "oh that bass is so 80's cover band" etc.

It's why Fender never changes. Being conservative is safe and it sells.

10. Bump!
    Okay, so the Smiths clip was a Guild B-301, yet the pickup is the same as found on Guild's X-702, though the X came with two pups and placement of the single on the 301 is in the same position as the bridge pup on a B-302 and I believe the X's bridge pup is equidistant to the B series. They would sound very similar so long as Andy Rourke's B-301 is the all-mahogany model (X being all mahogany, of course, but the B series also came in an ash-body/maple-neck configuration).
    ^ all to TBOMK.

I like the tone in the Smiths vid, I like the sound in the above clip, too.

As for the style of the bass, most times you come across it the word "metal" comes up. To me "metal" conjures up much pointier guitars than the X-702, things such as a BC Riches and Mosers.

FUNK! Yep, funk is the first thing that comes to mind when I see an X-702; I can totally see Bootsy rockin' one of these while giving his Star Bass a breather during a set.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    JIO likes this.
  11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    You are spot-on FF - "Mothership Space-Funk" is where this bass lives! :bassist:

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 20, 2021