1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1982 fender Japan precision bass.

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by royds, Mar 13, 2013.

1. royds

royds

Jan 26, 2013
    Edinburgh
    I have had this bass for nearly 20years and absolutely love it. I fell in love with it straight away when I seen it hung up in a music shop in Edinburgh.
    When I picked it up I could hear the truss rod wobble when tapping the guitar and the chrome hardware was a bit rusty but I wanted it. It was reduced from £550 to £450 second hand (obviously) and I managed to haggle the man down to £380 including case which was not bad.
    I was not aware about the significance of Japanese fenders from that year and noticed that it had a low serial number (JV01376) and its a 50's reissue with 2tone gold sunburst, single ply cream scratch plate and has the retro knobs with reversed tuners.
    It sounds really bright and I have never played a bass that's got a good sound when not plugged in. When plugged in its very responsive and stays in tune pretty much all the time, even when its not been played for weeks.
    I love this bass guitar and I would like to hear from anyone else who has a Japanese fender from the early80's to see if they have the same love for their instrument and if they know how much it is worth today?

2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    80's Japanese Fenders are good stuff. I wouldn't be comfortable with a broken truss rod. Did you repair it?
    Price seems right with the case, maybe a little high if damaged. I wouldn't expect a big ROI if you intend to flip it.
    You need to post some pics.