No longer available 1982 Fender Jazz Bass ’62 Reissue - Fullerton Factory - Stacked Knobs

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JessRobinson, Nov 16, 2016.

1. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Price:
    $1550
    Strings:
    For sale is this Fender Jazz Bass '62 reissue built at the legendary Fullerton factory in 1982 (Leo Fender’s old workshop). The ’62 Jazz Bass is among the first reissues ever produced by Fender, and are often compared to their “pre-CBS” brethren in quality.

All parts original (includes aftermarket bridge and neck pickup covers)
    Alder body with nitrocellulose finish in tri-color sunburst
    Lightly tinted maple neck - 1962 U shape
    Tortoise shell pickguard
    Rosewood fingerboard - 7.25 inch radius
    Vintage style frets
    Vintage style Jazz bass pickups
    Original pickups and pots
    Stacked concentric control knobs
    Vintage style hardware with reverse tuners
    Weight about 9.5 lbs

The truss rod in the original neck is stripped and needs to be re-threaded. This is easily done with a Stew-Mac “truss rod rescue kit” (under luthier tools).

A very serviceable and well-intonated MIM Squier Jazz Bass neck has been installed so the bass is playable right out of the box. The original Fullerton neck will of course be included and will be packed very securely.

This bass is a great player and has gotten a lot of play (including studio time with the band Spoon). Some normal scratches/dings, a patch on back where some finish has worn away - all normal wear for a well-used guitar.

Will be shipped in a padded gig bag, along with original neck. Everything will be very securely packed. $1550 shipped within the CONUS.

DSC02181.jpg
    Fullerton%20003.jpg
    DSC02146.jpg
    DSC02270.jpg
    DSC02265.jpg
    DSC02185.jpg
    DSC02271.jpg
    DSC02269.jpg
    Fullerton%20042.jpg
    sq2.jpg
    Sq1.jpg

seang15 likes this.
  2. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Can you confirm the body date? V06 indicates a Corona late 80's-early 90's unit. The steep pickguard bevel also points to this....Thx!

seang15 and The Bass Clef like this.
  3. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks for the inquiry, Fran F.

Multiple sources tell me that the American Vintage Reissue (AVRI) series have serial numbers on the neck plates starting with V and do not strictly correlate to years. The stamped neck dates on these guitars, however, are usually reliable.

I have posted pictures of the neck stamp and neck pocket stamp below. I have other pictures as well of the pots, pickups, etc. Everything appears to be consistent with a 1982 manufacture date.

Fullerton%20024.jpg
    Fullerton%20030.jpg

seang15 likes this.
  4. jsr914

jsr914

Mar 21, 2011
    Indiana
    It is hard to see - does the stamp say 1982 or 1992? Can you post some photos of the pot codes?

5. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks for the inquiry, JSR914.

I agree that the stamp is somewhat blurred, but to the naked eye it reads "Mar 20 1982." The "9" and the "8" appear to be shaped differently. I too wish it were more clearly stamped.

Unfortunately there are no pencil markings so that's what we have to go on. In addition, on the back side of the neck there is a stamp reading "J. Wenge". Below I have added a new pic of the date stamp (no better?) and also a pic with the J. Wenge stamp.

I am reading the pots as: 019268 R137XX. Solder covers the XX. I have included pictures of the pots and pickups below. The solder on both the pots and the pickups is unbroken which indicates that they are all original.

stamp.jpg
    Fullerton%20029.jpg
    Fullerton%20016.jpg
    Fullerton%20033.jpg
    Fullerton%20016.jpg
    Fullerton%20036.jpg

6. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    Definitely a 92. The Fullerton reissues have the black part of the sunburst covering the rear neck plate area

7. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I'd have to agree with the others who are questioning it being an '82 (or even a Fullerton reissue at all). Everything screams Corona about this one... The serial # is far too late for a Fullerton - V00 or V01 by '83/84, but V06 is well into the Corona era. The date on the neck would normally be hand-written in pencil in '82. The stamp on your neck could easily be a smudged "1992" (which would make a lot more sense along with the other stuff we see on this bass). JonKim is correct that the neck plate would be completely in the black part of the sunburst on a Fullerton (and your sunburst pattern is normal for a Corona reissue). Too bad the pot codes are covered by solder, but IMO there are enough other indicators that this is a Corona, that the pot codes don't really matter at this point.

Here are some shots of a 1st year, '82 Fullerton I sold a couple months ago to compare to (granted it's a '62 P Bass, but these features were the same for '62 Jazz Basses too). Notice the neck date, the way the neck pocket looks, "V00" ser. #, and the sunburst pattern on the back... You still have a cool bass, but a 1st year run Fullerton reissue is an extra special piece with certain features that collectors look for. Yours unfortunatley, does not have them.
    IMG_0894.JPG IMG_0946.JPG

8. A Squier neck, huh?

9. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Give me a minute to regroup, guys.

This was sold to me as an '82 Fullerton.

Let me sleep on this.

seang15 likes this.
  10. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    And thanks for your input. Very professionally done.

seang15 likes this.
  11. jsr914

jsr914

Mar 21, 2011
    Indiana
  12. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    Hey folks, I took this off the market.

I will redescribe it as a'92 Corona-made Vintage Reissue, and adjust price accordingly.

Regardless of its origin, it's a killer bass.

13. JessRobinson

JessRobinson

Dec 29, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    FranF likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021