Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1982 G&L Bass price?????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Feb 10, 2006.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I have an oppurtunity to pick up a 1982 G&L Bass. It's all natural, neck and everything are the same texture and finish. The pickups work fine, only missing one of the screws from one of them. This thing has taken a beating, dents and dings all over the place. But the neck is straight, and there is no damage that affects the playing or sound. The controls are missing one knob, but everything works. Well everything adjusts something or another so I assume that means it works. The guy is asking $400 for it. I personally played this and it played great and sounded killer, the bottom end rocked through my stack. Can someone please tell me if this price is fair and what else I should be looking at specifically on this bass. Thanks a lot and keep slappin!!!

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Do you know what model it is? I bought an '83 L-2000 for $300 plus an Ibanez SDGR 400 a few years ago. Amazing deal...I happened to be working at the shop I got it from, but asking price was $750.

For a few hundred more you could probably pick one up in nicer condition. But if it feels right and you don't mind the scratches I'd go for it. There solid instruments, i'm sure you'd be happy.

3. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    I'm thinking it's an L 2000 based on pictures I've seen. And I can probably talk him down to $350.

4. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    If it's an '82, it's probably an L-2000 e-series. Does it have a matte black bridge and control cover?

5. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    No actually. Both the bridge and control cover are chrome.

6. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    It's most likely not an '83, though. IIRC, most '83s had a "crinkled black" bridge/control panel. You can find out by pulling the neck off. Both the neck heel and neck route on the body will have manufacture dates stamped on them.

7. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Basically if it has 1 PU it's probably a L1000 if it has 2 PUs it probably an L2000(e), either way it sounds like a good price.

Make sure to check the neck for a dip between the 12th fret and the where the neck attaches to the body.

I thought '82s had the black bridge, you should be able check the SN on the G&L web site.

http://www.glguitars.com/chronology/index.asp

8. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

If it's a L-2000 you're stealing it.

If it's a L-1000 you're still doing well.

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    If you do decide to buy it, I have a G&L knob for you. PM me if interested.

10. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Thanks for all the help guys! I actually just picked up a MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe V because it was too sweet of a deal to pass up. So sweet of a deal that I think I'm still going to grab that G&L because the price is right... VERY right. I'll let you know what information I find on it. Thanks again!

11. stars

stars

Feb 11, 2006

if it has a PJ combination , could be an SB-2.

12. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    It actually has two humbucker pickups. The Older style ones with the 8 flathead screws showing on top of each pickup.