Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1982 G&L L2000e Control layout.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Aug 10, 2005.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I just picked up an '82 L2000e. I think that the control layout is different than later models. Anybody know what does what on this bass?

2. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Congratulations! I have an 1981 L2000E, and I love it.
    There's a really good G&L "tribute" site, guitarsbyleo.com, which can tell you everything you need to know. They even have downloadable owners' manuals from the early days.
    The only thing different about the early controls is that the middle switch lets you choose between humbucking mode (when the switch is pointed toward the bridge) and single coil with bass boost (when the switch is pointed toward the neck). On the newer ones, that switch lets you choose between series and parallel modes. Otherwise, the controls are the same as those on a contemporary L2000. Just for the record, the switch nearest the neck is a pickup selector and the one nearest the bridge is (going from bridge to neck): passive, active, active with treble boost. Personally, I usually like my bass in humbucking mode, either passive or active without the treble boost; but I've had it for five years now and I'm still discovering the different things it can do.
    Good luck!