1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1983-4 MIJ Squire P-Bass. "Stupid Deal of the Day"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jmbstudios, Mar 18, 2009.

1. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    I also posted this on TGP but thought this might be a great place too..

There is a guy here locally that has a MIJ Squire Fretless. It is in fair to good shape. Well played. Plays really nice, sounds great!! Black on Black, rosewood fretboard, and Fretless!
    The serial number is SQ246**. So I guess that puts it in '83 or '84.
    It has been played thats for sure, but it has not been abused.

I understand that it is worth whatever the guy can get out of it. He said he wants to get rid of it, but would not throw out a number. He doesn't even know how to play..... it just sits in a bedroom closet.

Can any of you fine folks that own these, recently bought/sold, etc, give me an idea of what they are worth?? Or a fair offer for him and I?

I'm taking off right now to go by and see if he has come up with a number.... So any help would be great..

2. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    From what I know, these are good basses, but not as highly valued as the JV series (which people sometimes confuse them with). I don't really know how the fretless option affects value either, but it seems like a fretted one might be in the 300 dollar range? Hopefully someone else can help.......

3. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    Well I went over and asked the guy for a number on the bass again.

And he said he really didn't want to get rid of it cause it looked so cool. But If I really wanted it and paid the right price he would let it go.......:eyebrow:

The he said........ Your gonna have to come with at least $75.00 before I would consider selling it........:eek:

My response......... Well, I think I can come up with that amount....as I am pulling it out of my pocket...:hyper:

So I bought it for $75.00. Thats got to be the "Stupid Deal of the Day"

4. Nice

5. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    pictures?

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You know what they say here......No pics, NO BASS!!!! ;)

7. doktersprode

doktersprode

Jul 1, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Bass Purchase Win.

Good job my friend.
    [:

8. ciubz

ciubz

Jan 30, 2005
    hello? pics? :)

9. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    Here are pics of a bass that is extremely similar. My camera is down, and I dont know what the hell is wrong with it... But this is exactly what it looks like....But mine is Fretless!!!!!

345d_1.

2ea3_1.

10. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    wow really nice. black on black.

11. If you are ready to sell I can imagine paying say, hmm, 90 för it...

:D:D:D

Congrats to a nice deal!!

D.Don

12. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Did you know that you made one of the best deal on that SQ Squier? It's not as valued as the JV series, but SQ is definitely one of the best Squier ever, just next to the JVs. In fact, the SQ series were meant only to be exported to other countries especially in Europe, SQs were never sold here in Japan. CONGRATS!

13. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Yes. Those go for around $300 used. Great deal.

Very nice basses. Solid, excellent fretwork.

14. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    I dont understand why these are different than the JVs. I did some research after buying it and it looked to me like the JV was mad in '82-'83 and the SQ was made in '83-'84.

What is the difference?? The differences I have seen are very minor. Like no skunk stripe... Any more??

OH, and D.Don-----If I sell it I you will be the first to know. But you have to come up with at least $83 bucks or I wont even think about it!!!:eyebrow:

15. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan

The JVs were considered as more valued and collectible because these were the very first Fender Japan models and these were patterned on original '57 and '62 blueprints. The very early JVs from '82 had US made parts and the wood were often ash. Some very early models that had the big Fender logo and small Squier logo even had nitrocellulose lacquer finish. JVs came in two series, Export and Domestic models. The JV also had an optional neckplate that have the owners name stamped.

The SQ on the otherhand were only meant for export, never had a domestic model. It has skunk stripe and walnut plug on the headstock. Though both JV abd SQ have almost the same quality and build, the JVs are still considered a higher value. And yes, all SQ had poly finish which made it a bit inferior to the JVs which had both poly and nitro finish.

16. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    Well that helps clear it up. Funny how basses made at the same time in the same place but have little differences have huge value differences.

Yeah some had nitro. But some didn't. I would put this bass up against any US bass. Feels the same. Sound is great.

I wonder what kind of wood the SQs are made from.

I think the hype for the JV being better is just that hype. Although I have never held a JV, I find the differences to be minor and wouldn't expect one to be twice as superior.

17. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Sunburst finished SQ had Sen ash or alder while those with opaque finish have alder or basswood . (JVs didn't come with basswood, only ash and alder, one major difference)

I don't think so. The EXPORT version JVs were almost accurate reproduction of '57 and '62 and the parts are MADE IN USA. The SQs were not. In the UK and parts of Europe, JVs are definitely considered collectible.

Check this site : http://21frets.com/

18. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Pretty much on the nose but the SQ squiers were mostly 32" scale. Here's mine.

19. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan

Mr. Bone, can you please check the neckplate if SQ is stamped? Based on the photo you provided, the "Precision"logo at the headstock is not typical JV and SQ, that logo is present in A and E series Squier. (I have an A series Squier "32 scale, exactly like the photo you showed). Moreover, the walnut plug is not present at the nut area. If SQ is stamped at the neckplate, this is the first I will see a different SQ.

20. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Once again you are correct my friend. This is an A series Squier. I bow in the shadow of your Squier knowlage.:D