1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1983 Fender USA Jazz ... Longhorn/22 fret ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tjh, Jun 29, 2014.

1. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    ... ok, time for some learn'n it appears ... no affiliation on this, just saw it on Ebay ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Jazz...935?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e8dde584f#ht_59wt_988

... I read the title, and then looked at the pics ... serial # says '83, but 'longhorn' body, with 22 fret neck (even the case that the bass is shown in) tells me this should be a '89-'94 1/2 Fender 'Boner' bass ... it has all the symptoms except for that serial # based upon what I was aware of ...

... granted, I took a few years off, and was not buying/playing basses much in the 80's, too busy raising kids and racing cars, so I guess I need a little education on earlier '80's basses and what I might be missing here .. I had thought that '89 was the first year from Fender for a 22 fret neck ?? .. I have had a few '83 US Fenders in my radar, and they all had the 20 fret necks, etc ...

... learn me please ... ;)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It's definitely not an 83. Body's wrong, pickups wrong, pickguard wrong. Not enough digits in serial number.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. good catch, Turock ... I missed that .. serial # should be E 3+5 digits .. only E +5 ...

.. pups, p/g, etc can be changed so I wasn't concerned with them .. but body shape, and 22 frets cant ... bogus ser # tells the tale on this one it looks like ...

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. any other comments before I chalk this one up to an accurate ID in the OP ??

5. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Other than a confusing E-series serial #, it is an American Standard (1st generation) "boner" J, but not an '83 as they were in production '88 thru '94. They are good basses (w/THX tone pot), but that price is way out of line. A white '93 sold recently on ebay w/case for $710 which is a fair price for a nice US made 22 fret passive J. I have one I bought early last year locally for $600 (w/o case) and love it. The body design balances out the longer neck well and it's generally well made and sounds like a J should.

It's possible the seller actually mis-believes it's an early 80's Fender (so an inflated price) because otherwise it looks untouched/orig. But due to the unique design of the bass, the pickguard and neck are specific to that model. Pickups on the other hand are the standard 2-sized J's.

6. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    .. thanks, JIO ... everything is congruent with what I mentioned in my original post .. I am very familiar with the Longhorns, the Ebay sellers claim to it being an '83 is what caused me to post this, as I am NOT real familiar nor have I had any Fender basses between mid 70's and the 'Boners' ...

I am not quite as fond of the 'Boners' as you are though, found them to be a bit too heavy, but yes, they did balance well ... I was also not a fan of the wider string spacing at the bridge, as it tended to run the E and G strings too close to the edge of the neck for my tastes ... I too have seen several of these sell in the $6-700 range, which kind of has me curious to the serial # snaffu on this one, if it is an attempt to extract more $$ for it ... I still think I am accurate in my thinking that this was Fenders first offering for a 22 fret neck late in '88 for the '89 model year ... I was hoping someone would correct me in this thread if my thinking is wrong there, but it is not looking like it ... thanks!

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Agree. That's a late '80s/early 90's beast. And yes - that price is zany.

THAT SAID - I sold a 1996 J bass (with the Surh p'ups) on ebay and it ended up going for nearly $1000 - this about 2 years ago. A bass I paid $500 for just the year before!

8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    I agree w/you about the 80's 3 screw bridge that came on these basses - I replaced mine w/an adjustable Schaller & dialed it perfectly. You are correct about them being the 1st 22 fret Fender basses. Mine weighs in at 9.4lbs which isn't light, but at least it's not as heavy as later 70's J's.

9. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Many times it's all about timing. (especially on ebay) Some things you seek-out, stalk and pounce on. Sometimes it goes for way higher than you'd think. I chanced upon an auction ending in an hour from when I first saw it this morning. I bid on and won a nice vintage Fender case for my '66 P (no tail logo/orange lining) on ebay for $100. (the price of a new Fender case w/black lining). I've seen them regularly sell for double or more and was prepared to pay more than I did. I just chalk it up to who's watching/ready to bid at any particular time. My attitude is as always; bid only up to my ceiling price and if I don't get it - so be it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Just an FYI ... the seller pulled the bass from Ebay .. seems he is a guitar collector, with not a lot of experience in the bass world ... he asked me my thoughts on the bass, and I told him what I have written above ... he is checking it out for himself .. seems like a straight shooter .. was good to see ;)

11. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    Judging from the auction, it could have gone either way. It's good you helped educate him and also that he was receptive. I've run into some pretty abrasive sellers on ebay (luckily only a few) and it's always kind of shocking as they seem to be making (some kind of) a living selling there. It's so easy to be nice. :thumbsup: