Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1983 made in Japan Squier P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bonafide, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    I just got a real nice Squier P-bass from 1983 it is made in Japan. It plays and feels nicer than both of my newer American Fender basses, honestly.
    Does anyone have an idea how much these are worth? It was given to me as part of a trade.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

2. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Bump. Anyone? Any Squier owners out there?

3. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Early 80's Squiers are very good basses. I have a '82 MIJ Squier Jazz that plays and sounds (with EMG pickups) better than any other Fender and most 'boutique' basses that I've tried. I guess you could compare it to the Japanese Fenders (Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller signatures) price-wise. I wouldn't sell mine for any amount of money.

Heres a quote from BGRA:
    "I purchased this bass back in June of 1997 because as a touring pro I was afraid that eventually one of my vintage basses might just come up missing.The first thing I did was replace the pickups with new reissue '62 Fender jazz p/u. Next I replaced the tuners and the bridge saddles with stock '62 reissue parts.Thats it folks.This bass SLAMS.My sound engineer says its his favorite of all the ones I own.I'm not quite sure why but others lately have been asking about it and when they find out its just a Squire their faces also take on that puzzled look.Perhaps it's just a shipment of good wood because there is nothing changed in the design.I would highly recommend this instrument even without the mods but if anything change those weak pickups. "

From Harmony Central ('85 Squier Jazz):
    "The sound is typical of a good Jazz Bass, meaning tightly focused with a nice vocal midrange. I play a variety of different musical styles and the Squier has never failed to deliver. One point of criticism would point to the pickups, though. As they are lower in output than their American counterparts, they need a little more preamp gain, which makes the bass somewhat more susceptible to noise intake (buzz).

I've used this bass live and in the studio over the last 17 years. It is not my only bass, but it still is the one I consider using first."

4. I've also got an 83 JV P, and must agree that it's a great bass. I'm actually on the lookout for another, but this time with a maple fingerboard, for a matching pair.
    As far as prices go, I'm not sure how much they actually sell for in the States (and I don't know if you live there either, please fill in your profile and you'll be easier to help), but the consensus over at the FDP seems to be: "don't pay more than $500 for one".
    And they seem to sell for about the equivalent of that amount here in Sweden as well.