SOLD 1984 G&L L-2000 - Mahogany/Maple/Sunburst

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Tom F, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Price:
    Strings:
    6/30/14 Edit - traded locally.

Putting my 1984 G&L L2K up on the block for trade. Still prefer trades to be local, but hit me up and we can talk.

This is a Leo-era L-2000 with a sunburst finish over a mahogany body, maple neck/fretboard, and front-load controls. In very good shape with some dings and honest player wear (most of which is captured in the pictures). NOS period correct (but not original) G&L knobs, which are pretty hard to find in in their own right. Comes with a newer molded G&L HSC. Weight is right around 10 pounds, neck is 1 5/8" wide and relatively flat. Neck is also nice and straight, no ski jump, and frets are in great shape for a 30 year old bass.

Sonically, this bass thunders. I wanted a bass like this forever, but by the time I finally got my hands on one my tastes had changed more than I expected, and this is just too nice of an instrument to sit in my closet unplayed.

Trade preferences as follows (can now add cash for the right deal):
    • I really want a Music Man Big Al SSS, or other Music Man bass, but open to any bass trades.
    • Also liking the idea of a Lakland Hollowbody (preferably with the Bart's or Darkstars) or a nice American P bass.
    • Bergantino NV115, a nice 2x12 or something similar.
    • Partial trades for a Aguilar DB112 in classic black, Kala U-bass or novation bass station
    • Can add cash to the right deal, or also include my Aguilar DB112 for something really special

13649224733_566a599a3c_b.jpg 13649187495_2f6d451772_b.jpg 13649191235_f28eafa770_b.jpg 13649197855_a94275e683_b.jpg 13649201985_cbb9fd8161_b.jpg 13649209023_d7e37695d5_b.jpg 13649220703_e421681274_b.jpg
    13649191235_f28eafa770_b.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    that's a bad ass bass!!

Tom F likes this.
  3. Are you still only interested in a trade only ? And, yes, it it is nice .

4. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Still trade focused, only because I'm struggling a little bit with setting a sale price. I know what $$ I have into the bass (including tracking down and purchasing a set of NOS 80's G&L knobs), and roughly where the market is on a bass like this, but I'd rather find a trade for something that is closer to where my preferences are right now than go through the process of selling this one, and looking for something else. I've given PayPal plenty of $$ over the last several years.

That's liable to change if I don't get any bites, but looking at trades for now.

5. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Hello, Just curious if you had anything in mind for trades or just open to anything interesting? What is the "value" of trade your looking for? Like what should the new price of trade be? I know the G&L's go for about 1350$ brand new. Something of that value? Just curious. I am interested in your bass! Thanks,

Mike

6. VifferMike

VifferMike Registered Four Banger Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    This is pretty much my dream vintage Tookay ... but, alas, I have nothing I'm willing to trade. :sour:

GLWT ... T ... :thumbsup:

7. MontzterMash

MontzterMash Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2010
    If you're looking for trades I'm assuming that means you aren't in any immediate need for the money. In which case, there's no harm waiting until you find a win-win deal, whether it be trade or cash. This is a great bass, and I'm not even looking and I want to buy it!

This isn't ebay, feel free to take your time figuring out what is a good deal for you.

8. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I'd love to get another Music Man bass, but I'm pretty open. In general I'm looking for basses in the $800-$1,000 range for straight trades, or possibly more if I include some of my other trade fodder.

Thanks - if I decided to open up for a sale, I'll update this thread.
    Absolutely - thanks! Especially because I was looking for one like this for so long, I'm more inclined to hold onto it until I find the right deal.

9. wodock

wodock Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Sergeantsville, NJ
    PM'd or started a converstion with you and I'm going to add a second PM to it

10. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Trade?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398477712.051043.jpg

11. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Minneapolis, MN
    Lawyer and Hobbist Bass Maker
    PM sent.

12. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Got some interesting offers yesterday, so even though nothing is imminent it seems like this is worth another bump.

To make it worth everyone's while, here's a joke:

A guy walks into a bar and takes a seat. Before he can order a beer, the bowl of pretzels in front of him says "Hey, you're a handsome fellow." The man tries to ignore the bowl of pretzels, and orders a fine Pilsner beer. The bowl of pretzels then says "Ooooh, a pilsner, great choice. You're a smart man." Starting to freak out, the guy says to the bartender "Hey what the hell, this bowl of pretzels keeps saying nice things to me!" Bartender says "Don't worry about it, the pretzels are complimentary."

13. eakap78

eakap78

Oct 23, 2004
    Wilmington NC
    Hi, I was wondering if you'd be interested in a Carvin Claro Walnut Icon 5? Beautiful bass in excellent condition, I can provide pictures if you are interested.

14. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Thanks for the offer. I'm going to pass on the Carvin but they are very cool basses.

The last joke brought some interesting offers, so here's one of my favorites:

There are two muffins in an oven. One muffin says to the other, "Is it hot in here, or is it just me?" the other muffin says, "HOLY CRAP A TALKING MUFFIN!"

15. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    I have a stingray I haven't gotten very attached to if that strikes your fancy ImageUploadedByTalkBass1399246961.216883.jpg

16. El Tookay

El Tookay Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2008
    Vancouver
    Givin' some 'hog Tookay love bumpage...if you wanna rumble your neighbors windows SIX BLOCKS away, here's your bass....

17. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    BTTT with a sale price. Not desperately searching for a sale (still prefer a trade), but willing to put a price on it at least.

Thanks! Definitely a snarling, thundering beast. I've wavered a little bit with moving this because it has so much heft to the sound, but ultimately it just isn't where my head is at right now (some wonder where my head actually is sometimes!)

Message sent.

18. wodock

wodock Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Sergeantsville, NJ
    PM'd

19. DasClyde

DasClyde Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    PM sent, I'm local.

20. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I can feel the thunder from that L2K.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.