1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1984 Ibanez Roadstar II RB850 FS/FT

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mikeswals, May 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I just bought this here two weeks ago to keep an inexpensive bass at the jam pad, but it's just not 'me'.
    This is a vintage MIJ Ibanez '84 Roadstar II RB850, in metallic candy apple red. Passive electronics that switch from humbucker to single coils. Lightweight at 7.9 lbs. It has seen alot of use! Many dings, chips, and scratches and plating worn off the bridge. But that's probably because the light weight does keep it comfortable. It does sound really good, and has that really thick dark-humbucker sound like a Tbird, it's just not a sound I need for a rehersal bass.
    I just restrung with ss 45-105's, serviced and cleaned the entire bass, installed a new jack. Frets are in good shape with lots of life, and truss works as it should. I also installed straplocks, and will include a strap with the locks, and the nice hefty gigbag.

I'd prefer to stick with some sort of 'cheapie' trade, workable for +/- trades, I guess I'm looking for a MM SUB or maybe even a MIM 60's/70's RI Jazz. I could also trade for a head like GK400RB or something in the 150w to 250w range. Again, would just like to keep this on the cheap end. -TRADED-.

DSC07531.
    DSC07532.
    DSC07536.
    DSC07537.
    DSC07533.
    DSC07534.
    DSC07535.
    DSC07538.

2. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Bump for trade possibilities; SUB, Ray34, MIM J, 150-250w heads, ?.

3. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I like the unique Blend/VOL(+Neck coil tap)/Tone(+Bridge Coil Tap) control layout on my '85. It's a fat toned bass to be sure, but I find you can tame that if it's set to dual single coil. You're going to make someone pretty happy with that trade!

4. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    275 shipped.

5. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I love these basses. Probably one of the most versatile instruments I've ever played, built very well, and I kind of wish I could buy this because I was a fool to sell the one I had.

But alas, too much gear and no trade fodder, but good luck with the sale.
    It's a killer bass and (IMO) easily worth more than you're asking for it.

6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    one of my favorite recording tones out of these basses. if I had the cashola

7. Had 3 great basses

8. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I haven't thought of running mine direct and seeing how that translates in Cubase. I will keep that in mind.

That gets me thinking about strings. I'm curious now about running flats on it. I can't imagine a more immense sound. Hmm, maybe I do need two... :help:

Caca, all I have at the moment is a defretted (by TB'er AJBrown) Steinbeger Spirit 5 string (regular bass body shape) to trade....

9. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I did just that. I had Rotosounds on it and it was AMAZING! It was like a Dub/Sabbath thing that just ROARED.

10. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    bump for a great TB'r and a killer bass

11. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Cool. I have roto flats that were just too high tension for me, so I took them off. Maybe the more jazz type neck profile on the 850 will make them seem less stiff. Hmm.

Sorry to clutter your f/s thread Caca. This bass really does cover every kind of rock tone, and I've even gigged it on a jazz gig. Your price is awesome. :bassist:

12. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    No prob, it keeps it bumped. ;)
    I've thought about just hanging onto it, but it'll sit. Would rather have another Ray.

13. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    You have a PM .

14. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    And now traded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.